Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Gardiner Wolves

I find it hard to believe the park raises $30 million from wolf watchers. As populations grow, territory increases, taking them out of the park.
Isn't the big problem with National parks like Yellowstone the fact that they are getting too many tourists? So, if there were any truth to the claim about attraction of wolf watchers, wouldn't they be glad of this outcome? 😀

We were there one year and someone told us where a pack had a den close to the road in Lamar. So as we drove by, there were a bunch of people there and we stopped. No wolves in sight. Until I saw some in a different direction. I was like a hero to the masses for seeing them. However, when two of them lined up and I said pretty loud, "Look! You could get them both with one shot!" my hero status evaporated!

Park the car, get out and walk 15 minutes and suddenly you’re in probobably one of the most spectacular places on earth.
I've heard this from multiple people. But once you've spend 3+ hrs in a traffic jam caused by people looked at a handful of buffalo, the same critter they probably saw behind a fence dozens of times, I get pretty turned off. I mean will I ever go back? Maybe, but that's a really soft maybe.

Grew up going there every summer and I’ve still only seen a wolf a handful of times per 15+ visits.
You apparently not going at the right time or the right place. When we are in the park we see wolves almost every day, but you have to know where to look.

ClearCreek

I've heard this from multiple people. But once you've spend 3+ hrs in a traffic jam caused by people looked at a handful of buffalo, the same critter they probably saw behind a fence dozens of times, I get pretty turned off. I mean will I ever go back? Maybe, but that's a really soft maybe.
As recently as 2 years ago - I’ve had amazing drives in the park but I was coming in from west at the crack of dawn. Place is unreal. If you’re driving with the tourists - it’s gonna be easy to be disappointed. There are no boardwalks, tourists or caution signs 1 hour walk from a busy road.. easy to lose 99% of the people in 15 minutes walking. I suggest trying again. Impossible to be disappointed.
435DF4F3-39FF-42B0-84D1-8359F4312173.jpegD04FE6B6-D310-4841-B555-1938B62F67F4.jpeg48699E39-204D-4571-A2AD-A7D64C62E3DC.jpeg

You apparently not going at the right time or the right place. When we are in the park we see wolves almost every day, but you have to know where to look.

ClearCreek
I’m fine with it. I won’t go back until my son is old enough and is interested. I’m okay if I never go back.

Here’s the Lamar every day during the summer. I spent over 40 summers in Yellowstone and wolves didn’t add anything to an overcrowded park, they just displaced one kind of tourist with another…

DE885C9B-3D67-4015-9663-2DFAEBDCE525.jpeg

It is pretty fun to go catch and release shed hunting in the park. Take some pics and make everyone think you’re a real pro.
I remember one day hiking down to the river a couple miles cross country tripping over sheds coming and going. Fantastic fishing and never saw another person all day once I left the road.

Impossible to be disappointed.
Bold proclamation. But from you, I'd maybe believe it. We'll see. Preferred time of the year?

Here’s the Lamar every day during the summer. I spent over 40 summers in Yellowstone and wolves didn’t add anything to an overcrowded park, they just displaced one kind of tourist with another…

View attachment 210337
I can appreciate anyone who travels with a well worn koozie. I keep several in every glove box and car door.

Bold proclamation. But from you, I'd maybe believe it. We'll see. Preferred time of the year?

I can appreciate anyone who travels with a well worn koozie. I keep several in every glove box and car door.
If your not a bow hunter go in september, peak rut in the park is entertaining.

As recently as 2 years ago - I’ve had amazing drives in the park but I was coming in from west at the crack of dawn. Place is unreal. If you’re driving with the tourists - it’s gonna be easy to be disappointed. There are no boardwalks, tourists or caution signs 1 hour walk from a busy road.. easy to lose 99% of the people in 15 minutes walking. I suggest trying again. Impossible to be disappointed.
I agree. Traffic or not, Yellowstone never ceases to amaze.

The old “come in early and leave late” hack to beat traffic did not work as well for me last summer as it had in years past. Seems like other have caught on. Used to be that before 7am and after 7pm you could have some of the more popular attractions to yourself. The Tower-Canyon (?) road closure this year might had some effect on crowding though.

Still a ton of solitude to be had on backcountry excursions, even if I have to deal with a little more traffic to get there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back