Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

game bags vs pillow cases

Ditto....the difference is good meat is saved in good bags...

Good meat is also saved in pillow cases. I have used both and their is nothing wrong with pillow cases, as long as you can get them cheaply. If not, then you had just as well get good game bags.

If you are going to buy game bags, get the quality ones and they will last.

Some people say that pillow cases are too small. I never haul bones out of the mountains, so it is irrelevant. Several pillow cases haul a boned-out elk just fine.

I have used the same game bags for over 15 years can't imagine using pillow cases that long

My wife made me a set of game bags out of some twin sized bed sheets in 1998 and I am still using them. triple sewed the the seams and added a real nice draw string. I just throw the in the washer and let them air dry in between hunts. I bet they have seen at least 50 uses and are still going strong.
I am not saying they are better than store bought game bags, but they have worked well for me.

I really don't understand the conflict people insist on developing over this.

You want to use game bags, fine. Pillow cases, fine. I'm sure there's guys out there who can screw meat up using either.

I've always used pillow cases because we have about a hundred of them, am meticulous about meat care and cleanliness, and have never had a problem.

I have used pillow cases in the past...worked fine. Now my wife makes mine and they work just as good. Use what you want just keep it dry and clean.

game bags

Buy cheap game bags! I usually buy a few when I find them on sale at Kmart, Sportsmans, or Walmart on sale for around 0.75 to $1.50 each. I obviously have to be careful not to rip them but never had any problems with flies or meat spoilage. I'm sure pillow cases or anything else will work as long as there aren't holes that allow flies entry. Cotton usually doesn't dry well in wet conditions and that would be my biggest concern with cotton pillow cases.

Buy muslin in bulk and make them as big/long as you want them. My family use to do that for years.
They worked well and could tie them off so flies couldn't crawl in.
Never have used pillow cases never even thought of them as to me they are way to small.

My wife REALLY hates it when I wash the pillow cases after the season and put them back on the bed. That's why I switched to meat bags. (By the way, wash them in cold and it washes out MOST of bloodstains. Sheesh. Some people are so picky.)

My wife REALLY hates it when I wash the pillow cases after the season and put them back on the bed. That's why I switched to meat bags. (By the way, wash them in cold and it washes out MOST of bloodstains. Sheesh. Some people are so picky.)

You should thank your wife and show her how those mesh game bags work better than cheesecloth for straining berry mash to make jelly. You wife can thank me for the tip. ;)

Another consideration is whether you are backpacking or hunting from a truck? If backpacking, it may be less bulky and a lot less weight packing around thin, cheap, Walmart bags than pillow cases or giant game bags?

I washed a game bag that had my sheep cape in it and the next few loads of regular clothes had a special aroma after that load.

The key is a couple washes without clothes afterward. I have washed gobs of coyote pelts in the washing machine and got no flack as long as I cleaned out the hair and ran an empty load or two afterward.:D

After our hunt in Wyoming this year, I soaked all the game bags, pillow cases, and sheets in a tub with water and bleach for a few days before I ran them through the washing machine. That got rid of most of the blood and the smell.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back