Gallbladder surgery and Elk hunting

WalkingBird

I wasn't sure if this should be put here or in the Elk forum, but here goes

So about a month ago I noticed some extreme pain and surmised it was from a bad gallbladder based on google and since both my folks had their removed and my symptoms lined up with theirs. I decided to aggressively change my diet but it didn't pan out and I would up having it removed Weds night (8/19) and came home at noon the next day. I know the surgery pains will subside and the doc has me on a light duty regimen, no lifting over 10lbs for 2 weeks. All well and good except for I've got my first elk tag in my life here in AZ starting in about 3 weeks. I plan on hunting, even if I'm severly restricted

My question for y'all is, for anyone here who has had the surgury before, am I being too aggresive in my approach to the season? I already can't hunt the back half based on work schedule.

What say y'all?

For pre-scheduled laparoscopic removals, 2-3 weeks should be plenty to get back to normal. May be some diet changes/challenges that seems you're already underway with, but for the most part, discomfort should be done by then.

My wife had hers out a few years ago - was an acute issue and there was infection upstream so NOT scheduled and was a 5 day hospital stay. Even with that, she was back to normal in the same timeframe, although certain food types were very challenging for another month or two (high fat items in particular). I would be very careful in camp with what you eat and avoiding dehydration. If you feel 'off' (she would describe her symptoms as feeling like the onset of the flu for a couple of hours) - take a rest.

Edited: Definitely discuss with your GI doc before you go, though.

My doc told me 2 weeks after I had mine out there was really no damage I could do, he said if it hurt my body would stop me before I tore something.

Definitely follow your doc's advice. Anecdotally, my dad had his out beginning of September several years ago and was ready for the rifle opener 4 weeks later.

I had mine taken out while at a 5 month military school and it did effect my bowel movements.

For about a year I could never tell when I had to go but when I did it happened fast..Same thing happened to my friend so just something to keep in mind.

For me it was hard because I would be getting the airplane ready to load and bam I would have to take care of business.

I would not let it stop me from hunting so go get em...😝

I had mine taken out while at a 5 month military school and it did effect my bowel movements.

For about a year I could never tell when I had to go but when I did it happened fast..Same thing happened to my friend so just something to keep in mind.

For me it was hard because I would be getting the airplane ready to load and bam I would have to take care of business.

I would not let it stop me from hunting so go get em...😝

I had the exact same thing, got a powder medicine that took care of it but after about 2 years my body must have adjusted and is generally back to normal, still have to watch my diet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back