Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

G5 T3 broadheads and XR 2 sight

wyoming556

Banned
Has anybody had experience with these two products. At first I really liked both of them but am losing faith.

On the T3 broadheads I agree that they do fly just like field tips but after using them the first time it is next to impossible to keep the blades locked into position with the supplied clips. I even spent a couple of hours in a blind while hunting trying to adjust the clips to hold the blades properly and was not able to be 100% sure that the blades would not deploy early. I even used new clips and had the same problems. I was testing by dropping the arrow on the nock from about 6 inces off the ground and typically at least 1 blade would fall out. Not to mention that just lightly brushing them agains something, putting them into my quiver, and even putting them in my bow case caused blades to come loose.

On the XR2 sight it is amazing to me that with all the technology involved on a $200 sight you have to use a sharpie to mark yardages on the dial. I even contacted them and this is the response.

"We can send out some tapes at no charge. The sight is not linar and this is why we do not supply tapes. You may want to check out www.pinwheelsoftware.com. I hear they have cracked it and can make tapes for it. Please let me know if you want me to still send you some tapes. "

Amazing that after 2 years on the market they still have no idea how to do what other sight manufacturers have been doing all along. Seems crazy with all the technology available these days G% cant even figure out their own products and refer you to somebody else who might have a solution.

Has anybody else had the same problems and figured out a solution. At the very least I can say buy a Montana Black Gold sight and save yourself some disappointment

Thats one reason I don't use mechanical broadheads. I use Shuttle T lock broadheads and they are incredible. The fly just like field points, no whistle or noise in flight, and they make brutal holes in animals. I just don't trust a mechanical broadhead when there's so many little things that can go wrong.

I'm with you there John. I have a 15 year old high country that I have killed lots of stuff with using plain old 100 grain thunderheads. I bought a new bowtech last year and decided to try some of the newest products out there and have been disappointed with the broadheads and sight. I do like the concept of 1-3 fixed pins with 1 moveable pin for long shots. I am easily confused by 7+ pins on my bow, once I count past 5 I get lost. .

I have seen 4 animals die with the T3's (2 antelope, 1 deer, 1 cow elk), everyone preformed flawlessly. I have never had any problem with the clips not locking in the blades though. Wondering if you got a couple bad heads or what. I have had trouble with Rages blades not locking in, which is what caused the switch to the T3's.

On the sights, they can not make a sight tape that is standard. It changes with arrow weight, speed, nock point, etc. I agree they should have some software that can print you out a tape, but I think there is software on the web that you can use to get your tape, I know there is for the sureloc sights.

I killed my bull with the T3 this fall, and my buddy killed one as well. I didn't have any problem with them opening up early. I never tried dropping them though. I pulled them in and out of my quiver just fine, and didn't have any problems.

I was very impressed with the performance. 42 yards, through both rib cages, and poking out the backside....he didn't go 20 yards.

Attachments

• DSCN3154.jpg
    DSCN3154.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 1,341
  • DSCN3157.jpg
    DSCN3157.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 4,103
LoL! I love these threads...:D First, yes I also used the T3 these year and no problems with mine, I'll have to try the 'drop on the ground' thing!

Second, they fly great and they did the job at 50 on this Blacktail...Only reason no pass-thur was that it lodged in the far side shoulder and had to be cut out...Will I continue to shoot them maybe, maybe not...Partial to the Striker and Tekan II so we'll see...As said, maybe you got a bad batch...G5's always been good to mewith Customer Service!

Attachments

• Entrance (2).jpg
    Entrance (2).jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 3,299
  • NotFar (3).jpg
    NotFar (3).jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 1,749
Glad to hear that if they hold together they are deadly.

I understand that there are many factors that prevent a standard sight tape from being used. It just seems that on a $200 sight there would be some better method than using a sharpie. Especially if you change arrows or broadheads. I found myself with a q tip and nail polish remover trying to erase the old sharpie marks thinking, why in the hell is there not a better way. And why should I have to call and request more blanks insted of the $200 product just coming with a few blanks. I have a truglo on my otheir setup and the sight tape even glows to make it easier to see, not to mention there are several companies like archersadvantage who make printable tapes for most other brands but apparantly not for the G5 beacuse of the way the product is engineered.

This system seems like they are utilizing technology of today more efficiently to avoid sharpie tapes.

Attachments

• TwoSite.gif
    TwoSite.gif
    35.3 KB · Views: 1,406
  • Forms.gif
    Forms.gif
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,480
I prefer Grim Reapers, They have huge cutting diameters, blades are held in with springs (no clips or o-rings), they never come open in flight, very sharp, field point accurate with blades open or closed (I tried it and was amazed), and I shot three deer with one broad head. My buddy uses them too he shot two turkeys, 3 deer, and a couple of ground hogs with one broad head before the springs stopped working. I highly recommend them! The pic below you can see the 1 3/4'' hole in the doe I shot. I only hit one lung, but she only went 100 yds before she dropped dead.

Attachments

• rsz_sany0921.jpg
    rsz_sany0921.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 1,432

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back