Caribou Gear Tarp

G5 striker vs RAD Rival

Dzlmech

Another broad head thread! I’ve got 38 days til my big hunt and I’ve narrowed it down to two broad heads for elk. I’m shooting a 496 Gr arrow at a 70lb draw. Maxima red sd arrow... blah blah blah. I’ve narrowed it down between the g5 striker and the rad rival. Both in a 125 gr tip. Does anyone have any direct comparisons? I’ve done the google internet machine to no avail. The g5 is a 1 1/8” cut vs the rad being a 1” cut. I think I know which one I’m going to go with but I just thought I’d throw this out there. Maybe it will help someone down the road.

Born and Raised Outdoors has been slowly putting out videos of a very thorough broadhead test. There's 3 up so far, it's a dry watch, but if you skip ahead to the results stuff at the end, should give you a good idea of how they perform head to head.

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

There's flaws in their methodology, but, to be fair, it's still one of the best broadhead tests I've been able to find.

I have g5 monte's and have had a hard time keeping them sharp. I'm generally the guy everyone in comes to in camp when something needs sharpened. I haven't tried strikers but the g5's have turned me off of the g5 brand.

I like the looks of the RAD. I have never been a huge fan of montecs because they are cast metal. Hard to put and hold a sharp edge on cast metal. But that being said lots of people have killed elk with them. I personally would go with the RAD if they are shooting well out of your bow.

I’ve actually decided to put both in my quiver come September. The RAD will be first shot because it flies so perfectly to my field tips. And at the end of the day shot placement is key. And if I end up needing a second shot I will have the strikers, which fly really well as well, but they will have a bigger cut should it be needed on a second shot. Or grouse. Who knows

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YellowCreek
Back