Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

FWP Upland Gamebird Hunting Reg Meeting

mtmiller

While cooking dinner last night I took in the R7 meeting. I think Dorak and his crew did a good job.

I plan to listen to the R6 one this evening and thought others might be interested.

1705524495330.png

It was discussed. I think the proposal is to open upland sept 1 to R&NR hunters, but limited to private land only. Open/accessible lands Sept 15 opener for NR on accessible.

Correct me if wrong.

We are seeing the increased pressure here too. Which is nuts because the bird hunting is nothing compared to 20 years ago when there was still a lot of crp around.
The lack of crp definitely makes it even worse. I think there is more pressure every year and less habitat so every decent chunk of accessible habitat gets absolutely pounded. Not uncommon to see or hear about bma’s getting walked by 5+ groups a day.

I hope limiting access the first 15 days of the season helps and does not hurt as far as the accessible lands goes. If it does not solve some of the crowding issue my opinion is that we limit NR’s to either a 3 day license can ,purchase 2 to whatever number is palatable, non consecutive license.

I think something similar to what ND does wouldn’t be bad. I’d change it slightly though. As a non resident, you get two weeks with your license, but they can’t be used concurrently and there must be at least a one week gap between the two weeks. Just a thought.

I think something similar to what ND does wouldn’t be bad. I’d change it slightly though. As a non resident, you get two weeks with your license, but they can’t be used concurrently and there must be at least a one week gap between the two weeks. Just a thought.
I believe SD has something similar for NR pheasants. Two 5-day periods that can't be consecutive and opening date 7-days after Resident opener. Someone should check my work, going off memory.

I hope limiting access the first 15 days of the season helps and does not hurt as far as the accessible lands goes. If it does not solve some of the crowding issue my opinion is that we limit NR’s to either a 3 day license can ,purchase 2 to whatever number is palatable, non consecutive license.

That what tried last session but died due to concerns expressed by businesses in eastern Montana. it sailed through the Senate, but by the time it got to House Fish, Wildlife and Parks, the resistance was too great, especially with House leadership coming down hard on it.

The 2 week delay for NR on public land and publicly accessible private land is a good deal, IMO. MWF, Big Sky Upland Game Bird Assn and MT Sportsmens Alliance were the main drivers behind this, as I have heard. Sounds like MOGA & MWF were able to find compromise on it as well. Nice work ahead of the commission meeting to find some common ground!

Sounds like they killed* the Sept 15th for NR.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: DFS
Sounds like they killed* the Sept 15th for NR.
Still not totally clear to me, it might still be on for Region 6, which is only going to push more people to Regions 4 & 7.

They keep preaching that it’s “important to gather all the data” first. I guarantee when they talk about the bear proposals that they won’t be worried about any data. “Gathering the data” is just another way to say this is going to impact outfitters so let’s kick the can down the road.

Still not totally clear to me, it might still be on for Region 6, which is only going to push more people to Regions 4 & 7.

They keep preaching that it’s “important to gather all the data” first. I guarantee when they talk about the bear proposals that they won’t be worried about any data. “Gathering the data” is just another way to say this is going to impact outfitters so let’s kick the can down the road.
Yea, I am listening to that part again to make sure.

It sounds like they did not pass the amendment citing "lack of economic data" and punted it to the legislature.

The conversation in first bear amendment got a little testy....

"In the end, restricting the nonhunting delays only to Region 6 for the 2024 season was opposed 5-1 with only Commissioner Jeff Burrows, of Hamilton, supporting it."

"In the end, restricting the nonhunting delays only to Region 6 for the 2024 season was opposed 5-1 with only Commissioner Jeff Burrows, of Hamilton, supporting it."
Yea, that's cause they immediately amended the original for the state wide delay. They are starting to get in the habit of offering amendments "during" the meetings. It's pretty obvious they have them prepped before but don't bring them up to avoid public comment.

Yea, that's cause they immediately amended the original for the state wide delay. They are starting to get in the habit of offering amendments "during" the meetings. It's pretty obvious they have them prepped before but don't bring them up to avoid public comment.
It definitely makes for a very confusing meeting to keep up with at times.

Yeah, its pretty damn irritating. Listening to the meeting though, I was worried they were going to amend the proposal to only include region 6, which I think might have been even worse than status quo. I think that would have pushed even more people to regions 4 and 7. I can understand leaving Regions 1 and 2 out of the proposal where its primarily mountain grouse.

Cebull in particular seems eager to introduce same-day proposals.

I appreciated commissioner Brooke and Walsh's comments during the bear proposal discussion. Tabor was basically saying to fall in line with the rest of the state, and Brooke and Walsh said that they wanted the ability to base their decisions on talking to regional staff.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back