Caribou Gear Tarp

Further Adventures with Moosie, ElkGunner and Bob!

Ovis,

Errr.... I meant to say "after the bird safely cleared Moosie's direction, I then dispatched the bird with two shots", but that makes it sound like I am a lousy shot, and it takes me 2 shots to kill a giant bird that is 15 yards away.
eek.gif

Del,
The funny part on these stories, is that they are true. You can't make this kinda chit up... And it is not like we are complete idiots out there, as we do kill stuff, despite all the funny chit that just seems to happen.

When we walked down to the spot at Bob's along the river, and after we jumped the 75 geese and 40 ducks, we found a place to set some decoys. Now, since we were not planning on hunting over water, we did not have waders, so we just had warm boots.

Moosie starts throwing decoys out in the water, and as he is the duck hunting expert (Geese are my department
biggrin.gif
), I just take them out of the decoy bag, and toss them by his feet. We are in a big eddy, and the water is only 18" deep, or less. Then Moosie proceeds to throw the three Canadian floater decoys, and the second one, he throws upside down, and it just hangs there, spinning on its' weight. Finally the current/wind hits it right, and it uprights itself.

Learning nothing, he then throws the 3rd goose decoy even farther out in the river, and lands it upside down.
mad.gif
But this time, the current will not correct his error. And, as Geese are my department, I advise him that an upside down goose decoy is not acceptable. So, he grabs a 5 foot branch, and wades about 2 feet out (less than 3" deep) and trys to correct the decoy. He is only shy by about 6 feet.

I then go find a bigger branch, and wade out farther, and save the day.
biggrin.gif

We then sit down, and he pulls out the camcorder, and starts filming. As the Narrator, he says "We are here on Bob's place on the River, I think the Snake River...". (Editors note: For the non-Idaho reader, the Snake River that we are sitting next to is the MAIN river in Idaho. It runs from the far East side of the state, across the entire Southern part, and eventually forms the border with Oregon. It is a big river, that adds much of the volume of the Columbia River)
rolleyes.gif

Real quickly, we have 10 ducks come at us, circle once, we don't shoot, as we are trying to see if we can get a shot where they would crash on to the land, as we have this whole problem of no waders, no dog, no boat, and the biggest river in Idaho.... The ducks land downstream 75 yards.

Then the Geese come, and the Gunner does a wonderful job of calling, and the 25 geese just lock in tight, from a 1/2 mile away. Moosie grabs the camcorder, and videos a couple of minutes of locked wings. It was a great sight. I keep calling, and they just get closer, and Moosie keeps videoing.

I didn't shoot, as I wanted to see a waterlanding on video, and they circled and landed upstream about 100 yards. And then they swam over to the island in the middle of the river, and watched.

A great little spot, just need more time, and figure out where to hunt it...

Ovis,

Not sucking up, it is just that I think Bob is one of those guys who a hand-shake means a lot, and his hands were damnned cold. If I am gonna shake his hands, I would not like to be grabbing Ice...
frown.gif

Bob kinda sounded like he wanted to show us where to get access to the river, but he was slowly hobbling around, with a cane, the corral. He said he had to feed the cows, and we told him we would load hay for him. I am not sure if Moosie has ever loaded a bale of hay before, as he wanted to take the ones off the top of the stack
rolleyes.gif

Fortunately (or unfortunately), I have had the priveledge in life of loading MANY bales of hay, so I suggested we take the ones off the ground that were already exposed to the weather.

I don't know my old tractors very well, but I think Bob has and International H, and he backed his little trailer up. We loaded the hay for tonight, and for Monday, to save him the effort. I am sure he has 80lb bales, and how he loads them at 85 with a cane, is something to wonder about.

But, he did seem appreciative of the trailer getting loaded, and we left him to feed, as we went looking for ducks to shoot.

'Gunner- I'll give you 'props', that was a good story. BUT, my grandpa's involve frying the heads of the animals for an extra bite or two!!!
eek.gif
Save one of them Canadians for next month!!!!
wink.gif

Ovis :

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I remember that place...only you guys could never get the geese in close enough for me to get a shot. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wasn't the one thatdropped right next to you somewere ?!?!
wink.gif

1-Pointer... I have one in the Lake and am Keeping it in feeding on corn till ya get here
wink.gif

Back