PEAX Equipment

Funky Buck or Solid Buck

Heyjbales

I drew a tag close to home this year, so I been taking stock of the antelope inventory. I've run into a ton of funky bucks and I just love 'em. I doubt I've seen a goat that goes 80" but I figure probably 1 in 10 meets low to mid 70's.

These three funky bucks attached are Curly (I bet you can guess), Mr. G (tilted forward and wide), and Twiggy (horns stands straight up). I figure I'd happily put a stalk on any of them with my bow just cause they're so funky.

That got me curious... would you go with a funky buck? Or like a low to mid 70's class buck if it were you out on the prairie?

Attachments

• IMG_9257.JPG
    IMG_9257.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_9258.PNG
    IMG_9258.PNG
    2.2 MB · Views: 113
  • IMG_9262.jpg
    IMG_9262.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_9332.jpg
    IMG_9332.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 101
With a rifle i like funk or width (bow any buck after stalk), know they dont score but just a personal preference. Couple more weeks before i start my inventory for my tag, aug 15th coming fast!

I would totally go with the funky buck. I have only killed two in my life (live in NC), so one of my MT antelope was normal, and the second was funky. I give preference to the funky.

Glad to hear from the funky bunch. haha. And those are good comments regarding bowhunting. I'm blessed to live in Wyoming, so I always have rifle season to punch the tag if my archery skills don't pull through.

Low to mid 70s here but only bc I’ve never taken one in that class. I’m sure you already have. If I had a good 76 or so on the wall, funky all the way.

I drew a tag close to home this year, so I been taking stock of the antelope inventory. I've run into a ton of funky bucks and I just love 'em. I doubt I've seen a goat that goes 80" but I figure probably 1 in 10 meets low to mid 70's.

These three funky bucks attached are Curly (I bet you can guess), Mr. G (tilted forward and wide), and Twiggy (horns stands straight up). I figure I'd happily put a stalk on any of them with my bow just cause they're so funky.

That got me curious... would you go with a funky buck? Or like a low to mid 70's class buck if it were you out on the prairie?
I would shoot whatever makes me happy. If I were hunting close to home I would spend a ton of time looking and then would decide what one is the right one. It would have to be really funky if it were also a dinky buck. Regardless I would not settle for any less if a buck if I were bow hunting.

I've taken two funky bucks. the bigger one grossed over 81 and was a archery buck.AE2CC7B0-4570-4C24-8CF1-6A5E40024A98.jpeg
7DE66E03-F470-4A61-9F1C-BE87AAA2AC37.jpeg
85B36B12-799C-4E6B-B1C1-583B0698F535.jpeg
ABC1CF17-0C2A-4BE9-A459-16BCEB037AC7.jpeg

The biggest regret I have on antelope is passing a freaky buck in 1996 in Wyoming. I’d never taken a real good buck and wanted a monster . I had this guy in retarded bow range and never thought of shooting. I ended up rifling a sub 80, pretty average looking 16” buck. Here’s a still off a crappy video I took of him. He’s bigger than the photo gives credit for..

9357DEC0-7563-45A1-B37E-9E19B53682DB.jpeg

I would shoot whatever makes me happy. If I were hunting close to home I would spend a ton of time looking and then would decide what one is the right one. It would have to be really funky if it were also a dinky buck. Regardless I would not settle for any less if a buck if I were bow hunting.

I've taken two funky bucks. the bigger one grossed over 81 and was a archery buck.View attachment 145211
View attachment 145213
View attachment 145212
View attachment 145214

The biggest regret I have on antelope is passing a freaky buck in 1996 in Wyoming. I’d never taken a real good buck and wanted a monster . I had this guy in retarded bow range and never thought of shooting. I ended up rifling a sub 80, pretty average looking 16” buck. Here’s a still off a crappy video I took of him. He’s bigger than the photo gives credit for..

View attachment 145215
These are some stud freaks! Definitely the goal would be something like that! Haha.

I hope to find a funky one this year. There is a decent a buck with hooks that go forward that hangs out in my backyard. Too bad my tag is for a different unit.

Back