Fun South Dakota Black Hills Hunt

That's a nice Whitetail anywhere you go. I'm guessing this would be a well above average Whitetail buck in the hills?

It is above average for what people shoot in the hills. But there are certainly some fine big bucks if you’re patient and hit the rut correctly.
The first time I went a few years ago I saw two that I would call true monster bucks. Neither got killed as far as I know.

Very nice! I’ll be heading out there for a pre-rut bow hunt with a good friend from college. He’s in Missouri and I’m in Indiana, and this will be the first western hunt for either of us. I’d love to pick someone’s brain on camping spots and thoughts on north v. south. I imagine this will end up being more of a scouting trip for future hunts than anything else.

Very nice! I’ll be heading out there for a pre-rut bow hunt with a good friend from college. He’s in Missouri and I’m in Indiana, and this will be the first western hunt for either of us. I’d love to pick someone’s brain on camping spots and thoughts on north v. south. I imagine this will end up being more of a scouting trip for future hunts than anything else.

You might be surprised at what you find. You'll see a lot of deer north or south. Are you looking for mulies or whitetails? Big bucks are not everywhere but they're not uncommon either.

You might be surprised at what you find. You'll see a lot of deer north or south. Are you looking for mulies or whitetails? Big bucks are not everywhere but they're not uncommon either.
We’ll be whitetail hunting. I read no fires outside of official campgrounds in the South Dakota side. I assume that likely means not much camping outside of campgrounds.

There are a few no camping areas around developed sites but there is a lot of "hey lets park here and camp" spots. Just cant have open fires for obvious reasons.

I missed this thread earlier. Congrats on a very nice buck! I spent a day in the BH while travelling through. Saw a few deer. A very beautiful place and definitely a hunt I would like to do.

We’ll be whitetail hunting. I read no fires outside of official campgrounds in the South Dakota side. I assume that likely means not much camping outside of campgrounds.

I think you can camp almost anywhere in the Nat Forest but not on the WMA's. But...check because I might be mistaken. It's dry there. They're not big on fires outside of campgrounds. There are plenty of people parking the campers in a in the Black Hills and hunting from there.

Since you can take either Mulies or WT with a bow, I'd not pass on a nice Mulie buck. That's for sure. You'll find both. But whitetail are whitetail. You'll find them in the edges, brushy draws, and creek bottoms. You'll have no problem locating them. They're everywhere. You might have a tough time getting close. Compared to what I'm used to here in MN/WI, they're pretty skittish.

Headed to the Black Hills last Thursday for a fun hunt that I look forward to whenever I draw. As always it didn’t disappoint.

Saw many, many, deer but not where I actually expected them to be. Put on a lot of miles and hiked a lot hills and finally found one to take for a ride.
@ tzone Congrats on the great buck!!
I would like to get out there soon could I possibly pick your mind a little ?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back