Full moon elk hunt

Cody Richardson

We are planning next years trip for elk/muley and I just happened to look at the moon phases for next year and we will be essentially hunting during the entire full moon cycle. This is a post elk rut (mid October) hunt, what would your strategies be?

we were thinking be on glassing knobs well before sunrise, glass and hope to catch a bull or buck heading to a bedding area. And do the same at the end of the day, glass until last light. Would you do anything mid day? Glass bedding areas, anything else?

Honestly I think there is more important factors than moon phase. Weather and hunting pressure outweigh the moon by a mile IMO.

Full moon is one of those things that doesn’t help anything, but I wouldn’t plan a trip around it.

be on glassing knobs well before sunrise, glass and hope to catch a bull or buck heading to a bedding area. And do the same at the end of the day, glass until last light.
This should be your strategy regardless of the moon. Mid-day, you could nap or go back to camp but you might miss that bull that gets up out of his bed around noon and moves around a little. Patience kills.

Temps, cloud cover and hunting pressure has as much if not more affect on elk movement, then moon the phases. My 2 cents

I can tell you this is the first year I hunted elk for a week during a full moon and it was horrible. Coincidence with other factors such as those listed above? Could be. We had about 30 mins to glass following first light before they were in the thick timber and they didn't come out until after legal hunting light. It was a very slow year.

We got 2 this year in full moon. Made the 6 hour pack out easier. Yes it can be harder because they will eat all night but it can be done.

I’ve been successful during the middle of the day, and right in the last few minutes getting into elk.

There’s an exception to every rule. Ask yourself, does a full moon help? I vote no. Stack the odds in your favor and avoid it if you can. If not, just go. Worrying about it won’t change anything except getting your head out of the game. We decided next year that we would have tentative travel plans and then just wait for the right week with cold temps and good conditions. Trying to stack the odds in our favor.

We hunted the full moon this year and it sucked. Was it all the people? 60 deg temps? Who knows, but we did have a lot of fun! It was pretty cool not needing a headlamp in the middle of the night even inside the tent. I kept waking up thinking it was dawn lol.

Just hunt, brother. If moon phase actually does effect their behavior it's very minimal. Moon phase is about the very last factor I consider, if at all. Weather, hunting pressure, snow or lack thereof are far more important things to think about.

I feel moon phase makes a difference with deer. Maybe not significant but nonetheless.
Right now I would take a shitty moon over the frickin hoards of pheasant hunters, out of the woodwork this year, screwing over my local deer ground.
Back on the road next year.

Honest question here. Isn't it true that elk see in the dark and if this is the case what difference does it make if the moon is shining or not? I've heard arguments both ways, most that the full moon hurts hunting, but either way I am not going to miss an elk hunt based on whether the moon is out or not. I guess in my experiences I haven't really noticed a difference but really haven't paid that much attention to it either.

Back