Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

FS to lift poison ban on prairie dogs

Troy,

I still don't see the assualt on "individual rights". It looks to me that the "individuals" still have the right to kill the PDs on their land, via poison, gunfire, explosives, or boring them to death at the local coffee shop...

It is interesting that I guess I see the PDs as more of a "game" animal (deer, coyote, etc..) than a "pest" (Grasshopper, Mormon Cricket, etc...). I am surprised that anybody (Forest Circus, neighboring landowner) has the Obligation and Responsibility to make sure no PD ever leaves their land to the neighboring property.

It's just like what would happen if you owned a dog and it didn't stay on your property. If your dog goes on to the neighbors and damages their property, your liable.
Is this true? That you are liable for the actions of a single PD that leaves your land to the neighbor? And the Gov't is liable for the damage done by a PD that leaves a National Grassland for the private land?

Are you sure there is a liability, or is there just a "tradition" for the FS trying to kill the PDs to placate the ranchers? Have the ranchers now became used to this welfare and are now whining when and if it is not provided?

It is great that these Icons of Self-Dependence, Rugged Individuals, and Marlboro Smoking men rely on the government to provide for them. Just like your typical Welfare Mom in the city.

So I'm curious why neighboring landowners are responsible for PD damage if they don't control them and the dogs move across the fence, but if it's deer or elk we're talking about, the State is responsible. The PD's are owned by the state, not the landowner, right?

Oak

There has been a steady increase in PD's since the 1099 has been used. What is used now is zinc phosphide. It's not near as effective, but is much safer. ZP is a contact poison and numerous tests have been done. One I've read stated feeding a coyote 15 PD carcasses that had died from ZP, with no ill effects on the coyote. The 1099 had residual that would retain it's toxicity.

The PD guide services are popping up left and right, but it's not $20 that being charged. Locally there are 3 that are scrambling to lease up the area dog towns. The rates run from $125 to $175 a day with a two day three guy minimum. A PD shooting day is 4 hours, anything more costs extra. If you are put up or fed, that's extra too.

I don't make the rules, I just go with the flow and do what I have to. I'm sure if something cost you a lot of money that you shouldn't have to put out, you'd be upset too. I'm also sure if I offered a PD shoot on thousands of acres of unshot at PD's towns, several here would be more than happy to jump on it and overlook any debate we might have had. But I hate to have anyone shoot on evil private land.

Many don't seem to understand that PDs are a rodents and they do breed as such.
How such does a rodent breed? ;) Is this a position or something else? :D I wouldn't classify their reproductive prowess as extreme, but that is just me.
As far as shooting them, you can't shoot PDs on FS land
In SD the only FS land closed to pdog shooting is in the ferret reintroduction area. This is includes probably about 15K acres. A good chunk of real estate, but still lots of opportunities for the recreational shooter.
The PD's do have a control mechanism, it is called the plague, which affects not just the prairie dogs but the predators as well, including the Blackfooted Ferret. By contolling numbers before they get out of hand the plague is kept in check.
Well this is not entirely true. Plague is not density-dependant. In fact some of the highest density prairie dog towns in the country are in SD where the ferret reintroduction has been the most successful. Not only are the densities very high in SD, but plague has never been documented in pdogs there either. On a side note, most people believe, and I agree, plague will show it's face within the next couple of years.

Just wanted to throw out a few thoughts. I have to hear arguements about this crap all the time at work, so I just observe and learn when I am logged on here on my free time.

signed, prairie dog hugger Miller. ;) :D
killer_pdog.jpg

I'm not bragging by anymeans, but I'm sure I have killed more PD's through shooting and poisoning than all on this board will ever know combined.
But how many have you killed with your barehands or teeth Troy? ;) :D You have me on the others though. :D

I believe the comment about the PD reproduction made reference to the fact that they may throw as many as three litters of young a year.. Each litter having from three to six pups.. (If you are very patient, the young ones will stand in a line on the edge of the berm and you can take three with one shot..)

I would be very careful about claiming to have killed more PDs than the rest of this board combined.. I know of one person who has probably killed between 1500 and 2000 dogs in one long weekend.. Huh Del??

:cool:

I am with you on the litters of 3-6 Dan, but I have never heard of multiple litters per year. I can only speak for black-tails in MT and SD, but am pretty sure this is consistant throughout the range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back