FS-Semi custom 280 AI

Fire_9

This rifle started out as a Winchester 670 chambered in .243. I had never heard of a 670 before but it was winchesters answer to the rem 700 adl. It was their model 70 push feed action, cheaper wood stock, no bottom metal, and they only came in one length.

I stripped it down and only kept the action and trigger. It is bedded in a bell and Carlson stock with a proof steel 2b barrel. Barrel is cut to 22” and is a 1 in 9 twist. I swapped mag box, follower and spring, and added bdl bottom metal. Weighs in at 7 lb 12 oz. I ran about 20 eld-x’s through it and it shot right at moa with no real load work. Was planning on it being my do everything hunting gun but I never found the time to tinker with it.

I‘m looking for $850 shipped as this doesn’t even cover the cost of parts. I can sweeten the deal with a little powder and primers for a local pickup in MT. Thanks

F9AC4E5D-5DDD-4ECC-B91D-408A3D20AD12.jpeg9D3B13DE-D0C5-4F64-A40D-44E38D74EA3F.jpeg

Last edited:
Gawd I'm an idiot. And reading is hard, glossed right over the 280AI part and assumed still in .243. About a perfect rifle for anything. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ I give myself 3 facepalms.

Ok, so this rifle build has me scatching my head. This was a 243 which is a short action and now it's a 280 which is a long action. I thought only Tikka made all their actions the same size?

Ok, so this rifle build has me scatching my head. This was a 243 which is a short action and now it's a 280 which is a long action. I thought only Tikka made all their actions the same size?
Up until the early 1980s Winchester only produced long actions. They used a different bolt stop and magazine box with a spacer for SA cartridges.

Can’t believe this rifle is still here. Great deal with quality parts!

@cahunter805 is correct. They stuck a short action caliber in a long action. The 670 was their budget package but it was still their model 70 action

Back