Yeti GOBOX Collection

FS: Cursed Leupold VX2 4-12x40

You know what? #*^@#* you guys.

My word is worth that little on here? I could have easily thrown away the paperwork and sold this scope elsewhere for almost twice as much. The money I took barely covers my gas, time and shipping to get it sent to AK. Then I get mocked for being too "scared" to use the scope on a hunting rifle?

Has this site seriously devolved to this?
I don’t think anyone is taking shots at you. Nor is anyone questioning your word. I personally appreciate your honesty and think it’s great there are still people out there that wouldn’t be looking to scam someone.
I think we’re all just having a little fun with the idea of a “cursed” item vs a broken one.

Hard to know what to make of the Rokslide tests. Seems like if you stumble with your rifle in your hand, or slip and fall, essentially all scopes < $2K won't hold zero. And some scopes that cost $4K, ditto.

That just seems to attack common sense, similar to what @Bambistew said.
On of the things the tester on Rokslide says is to run your own tests on your gear. I get that it's hard to get over the mental hurdle of dropping a high dollar optic to check zero, but better to find out at the range than on your one hunt of the fall. That said, have I drop tested mine? No, but I have switched to a couple brands that typically do very well. Both scopes I use now were in the $500-750 (used) range, and so far they have worked great. And once I started using them I realized how much I'd been chasing small zero changes.

I carry my rifle in a gun bearer a lot, and wipe outs just seem to happen occasionally when you hunt broken terrain. I don't think a 36" drop onto a shooting mat on soft ground or snow is an unreasonable benchmark, especially since we have scopes under 25 ounces that handle it just fine.

Did they say it was fine with no repairs and send it back or repair it and send it back?

I address this is in my first post. They did no repairs.

Why wouldn't you give it a test? I seem to remember that Randy said he didn't mount it after it came back from Leupold?

Again, first post. The catch on the cheap price was that it not be used on a hunting rifle. Isn't that the definition of "Still believing in the handshake?"

The scope lost zero, and then passed Leupold's standards. I'm not making any giant anti-Leupold statement here, I'm just stating the facts of this specific scope. And obviously, this was not the place to do so at! Lesson learned.

I DESPISE wounding loss in hunting. I found multiple animals this year that were botched shots from other hunters. I'd have slept much better throwing that scope in the trash than sending it to someone who'd hunt with it. I'm glad it went to someone who will use it the way I was hoping, and I'm not sure why every Leupold fanboy on here feels the need to chime in about why I'm wrong.

Also, if optics with a warranty hold all their value, I wonder why my Leupold spotting scope listed on here for <60% of MSRP hasn't gotten any bites?

Also, if optics with a warranty hold all their value, I wonder why my Leupold spotting scope listed on here for <60% of MSRP hasn't gotten any bites?
same boat with a set of binos. They’re about to just get tossed in the center console of my truck and beat up. Seems like a waste for binos that cost over $700 new

I address this is in my first post. They did no repairs.

Again, first post. The catch on the cheap price was that it not be used on a hunting rifle. Isn't that the definition of "Still believing in the handshake?"

The scope lost zero, and then passed Leupold's standards. I'm not making any giant anti-Leupold statement here, I'm just stating the facts of this specific scope. And obviously, this was not the place to do so at! Lesson learned.

I DESPISE wounding loss in hunting. I found multiple animals this year that were botched shots from other hunters. I'd have slept much better throwing that scope in the trash than sending it to someone who'd hunt with it. I'm glad it went to someone who will use it the way I was hoping, and I'm not sure why every Leupold fanboy on here feels the need to chime in about why I'm wrong.

Sorry that I didn't retain everything you wrote in your first post. I'm also sorry that I asked a couple of non inflammatory questions. I understand why you're upset with all the comments but like I said, I didn't retain the points you made in your first post.

On of the things the tester on Rokslide says is to run your own tests on your gear. I get that it's hard to get over the mental hurdle of dropping a high dollar optic to check zero, but better to find out at the range than on your one hunt of the fall. That said, have I drop tested mine? No, but I have switched to a couple brands that typically do very well. Both scopes I use now were in the $500-750 (used) range, and so far they have worked great. And once I started using them I realized how much I'd been chasing small zero changes.

I carry my rifle in a gun bearer a lot, and wipe outs just seem to happen occasionally when you hunt broken terrain. I don't think a 36" drop onto a shooting mat on soft ground or snow is an unreasonable benchmark, especially since we have scopes under 25 ounces that handle it just fine.
They've survived multiple falls, bounced around on gravel roads/pasture, done miles on horseback, and, one, in Super Cubs landing on tundra, so, like you, I think I'll just call it good and not drop them on purpose. ;)

You would knowingly hunt big game with a scope that doesn't hold zero?
Nope. But I have a few of those. I would have rolled the dice at that price and put it through the paces on one of my smaller rifles. Then gone from there. mtmuley

This is becoming nonsense. A pretty well-known gunsmith, famous for accuracy, (1/2 MOA at 1/2 mile to leave his shop) told me which scope to buy.

And, in 30+ years, never failed. So I don't care what one dude on RS says. I'm betting he never built a single rifle and put his reputation on the line.

This is becoming nonsense. A pretty well-known gunsmith, famous for accuracy, (1/2 MOA at 1/2 mile to leave his shop) told me which scope to buy.

And, in 30+ years, never failed. So I don't care what one dude on RS says. I'm betting he never built a single rifle and put his reputation on the line.
Sounds like a solid scope for you. You could read about that tester and decide if you think his credentials are adequate.

Why? There's just about nothing worse than a scope/rifle that can't be trusted to hit where it's aimed.
Didn't say I would use it without checking it out first. I have one that has lived on a RUM for over 20 years. That RUM now needs a new barrel. That scope will be mounted on the rifle when it is done. Jesus. I know what I am doing. mtmuley

Didn't say I would use it without checking it out first. I have one that has lived on a RUM for over 20 years. That RUM now needs a new barrel. That scope will be mounted on the rifle when it is done. Jesus. I know what I am doing. mtmuley
When you said you have “a few of those”, it read as scopes that may or may not hold zero. I’m assuming I read that wrong, and that you have a few of that specific make/model.
Randy knows what he is doing as well.

For what it's worth......

The guy that built my rifle has shot rifles all his life. He's in his 70s now. He was a huge Leupold fan 5 years ago, but he's not buying them any more. From what I understand he would tell you that Leupold from the past is not Leupold of the present.

Just a data point of one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back