Caribou Gear

Frustrated

Looks like Skiller covered it. In MN that is only if the land is not posted. I know people in MN that have had a hard time getting trepassers charged. Doing it because you would only get a warning is a crappy move. Should always call/talk to the landowner first.
I fully agree. We own land in several portions of the state and we've always helped others if they had a deer cross over. It's different since we know our neighbors but for a landowner to deny someone the ability to recover their legally harvested animal is bs. Have a warden accompany them in the recovery.

I don't want to come off sounding like trespassing is okay. We have problems with trespassers and it's a serious issue. But for a landowner to deny a request to retrieve game just grinds my gears.

Call the gamewarden next time!
Yes, our conservation agents here in Missouri are normally very willing to help in a situation like this one. Sorry you lost him. Please come back to Missouri, we have great hunting and lots of great public land, don't over look the smaller areas that get less pressure.

My daughter shot a buck that crossed the property line this year here in MN. We called the landowner and his response???

Absolutely, you go wherever you want on my land, whenever you want! We are neighbors and we look out for each other!

Then he helped us look (and find) the buck. Do unto others as you would have others do unto you!

That sucks i am lucky to have neighbors that let me and my kids use their woods, but im hoping the land owner went and retrieved the deer after he denied you access. A bit greedy but at least then the deer wouldn't have gone to waste..

In Colorado, I can assure you that it would not just be a warning if the landowner wanted to press charges. And if you were able to recover the deer you would be charged with illegal possession of a deer ($700 and 15 points) on top of trespassing ($100 and 20 points). Add about 37% victim's compensation surcharge to those penalties as well. If you accrue 20 or more points within a 3-year period you are eligible for suspension of hunting privileges. Not trying to sound scary, just want to be sure everyone knows that in some places a warning is not likely.
Wow...I might want to re-think hunting next to private ground in Colorado! Knowing my luck I would shoot a big bull and he would hop the fence. The chance of the owner letting you look for a big bull would be next to nothing I imagine. I thought in Colorado you just had to make an attempt to contact the landowner but if you couldn't reach them you could go look for it. Regardless, I would be calling the CO if I couldn't reach the owner.

Yup that is disheartening. Bummer. I get landowner rights, but just wish landowners would not be jerks either.

Sucks. Plain and simple. Some landowners have got fed up with trespassers. Probably had a bad experience in the past. I‘m glad we have a large lease were as I dont have to hunt close to any property lines.

I can't understand why other states don't allow that. It's awfully wasteful to not allow hunters to retrieve
Because that would open the door to a whole mother can of worms unfortunately.
I know what I would of done which isn't legal but some times right and legal don't always line up for imo. Ymmv

His property so I can see it. Check the state laws, some states have laws where if LE is involved you can go.

In some states it is illegal to take a deer you did not make the kill shot on. While this leads to a stalemate it makes for an uncomfortable encounter with the hunter and neighboring land owner and the DNR will get involved. The fine for taking a deer that you did not make a kill shot on is significant. Making this clear to a land owner usually results in them backing down. Always get the LEO involved in instances as this.

It seems to me the proper resolution would be for states to pass legislation that allows hunters to find game that crosses onto private posted land if 1) accompanied by conservation officer and 2) the CO can establish for certain the animal was wounded off the property. The animals are public property till shot by a hunter. Then they are his property ... if he can recover them. Does the property owner's surface rights supercede the hunter's right to possess what legally should belong to him? The state authority on the spot should be taking over.

Incidentally, this is the procedure for National Parks. Hunters can retreive animals that cross into the park if accompanied by a ranger and he/she establishes that animal was shot outside the park. And if any ranger expresses reluctance, ask to speak to chief ranger or supt.

In Georgia, we keep our mouth shut and go get the deer. My sister had one make a three mile loop on us across four properties. We kept quiet, and went after him.

In Georgia, we keep our mouth shut and go get the deer. My sister had one make a three mile loop on us across four properties. We kept quiet, and went after him.
You don't get any snow to leave evidence behind. I had one die across the line on the last day of season and the landowner was in Chicago where he lived. I had no way to contact him. I went and got my deer, he showed up the next day and saw my tracks. He called and reported it and after they figured out who I was I was contacted and charged with taking a deer without permission. Meat was already in the freezer and I got to keep it, just had a fine of $75 I think. Guy was just an asshole to report me when he had salt blocks out and used his place to travel onto all of the other neighbor's properties! He didn't stick around long after that once my friends found out... ;)

Back