Caribou Gear Tarp

Frozen hands

1oldcoyote

Coldest day I've hunted coyotes was -40WC. I've hunted numerous times >-20WC. One hunt worth noting was around -28WC. I snuck in on a pr of coyotes 5/8 mile from the road. I shot the closest one once I went prone on a hill top. Hit that coyote midship. As the coyote ran in circles & pronked like a buck horse. My follow up shots never connected in the stout quartering winds. My eyes were starting to freeze shut.

So I decided both the coyote & I had enough & I headed back to my truck from the hills. Once I got to my truck. My hands were cold & stiff. I could not move my fingers. So I tucked them in between my (naked) clasped groin to thaw them. So I could reach into my pocket to fetch my truck keys. So here I'm standing bent over trying to thaw my hands. My hands were under my coverall, under my jeans & under my long underwear & underwear.

With my "hands in my pants". Here came a farmer down the road. He passed me by, driving very slowly. Staring at a man on a county road "with his hands in his pants". haha

Well that technique. Worked well enough to thaw my hands. I drove home. Long story short; Sticking your frozen hands in your pants. May be a lifesaver. :)

Last edited:
I am a big fan of those chemical handwarmers.
I is a long cold boat ride out of duck camp, and my hands stay warm
with chemical hand warmers, polar fleece mittens and large shells
I sewed from wader material.
WaterproofMittens.jpg
duck_camp_boat.jpg

Fortunately, with climate warming we have not seen cold winters in the -60s since
the 1980s...the slave cylinder on my old F150 clutch would rupture anytime
I drove it colder than -40.

During Wintertime predator hunts with the WC below zero. I wear a full head polyester knitted facemask. Over that, I wear a full head & neck. Nomex Fire hood. Nomex fire hoods as in a firefighting hood. Are fire resistive & have an extremely tight weave. Which work extremely well at blocking stout winds from piercing it's fabric. They are also very lightweight & thin.

I have had frostbite on my fingers and thumb.
NOTHING to mess with. Get them warm ASAP and any way you can.
I did not lose any digits but did have to have some gangrene cut out.
NASTY !!!!

I am a big fan of those chemical handwarmers.
I is a long cold boat ride out of duck camp, and my hands stay warm
with chemical hand warmers, polar fleece mittens and large shells
I sewed from wader material.
View attachment 227267
View attachment 227266

Fortunately, with climate warming we have not seen cold winters in the -60s since
the 1980s...the slave cylinder on my old F150 clutch would rupture anytime
I drove it colder than -40.

I use one of these in my pocket during cold hunts. Lasts longer and less waste.

It's hard to keep them lit in windproof pants or gloves, no air.
I like to put warmers in my boots too.
Never thought of that. My set up for below zero is rag wool fingerless gloves and A hand muff with heater in it.

I also use big chopper mitts, but prefer the freedom of the rag wool gloves.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back