From Ontario to Montana

Eprevost_tec

Hello all,

While this if my first post, I have been cruising the forum for some time, and am hoping for some advice and direction.

A friend and I are planning on coming to Montana to hunt elk during the first week of the rifle season next year. We are from the Norther part of Ontario here in Canada. Living life at 800 feet ASL is going to be our first challenge.

My friend owns a guiding business, outfitting moose and black bear hunts in our area, so gear and woodsman ship are not at issue here.

Here is our game plan, all contingent on the right tags of course (general tag for Montana)

-Head to northern Wyoming for a few days to hopefully get a pronghorn. We are hoping the transition to the elevation will help for the later elk hunt.
-Heat to pre scouted areas either around units 310, 560 or 318,335,350.
-Plan is to setup a wall tent base camp, and if required use a spike camp on the mountain depending on where we are able to find elk.
-Hunt hard for 7 to 9 days.

We have been doing a ton of research for about a year already, and keep soaking up everything we can about elk ecology, migration routes, feed preferences, available public land etc. We scour Gohunt, OnX, and every website, youtube channel (including Randy's) almost on a daily basis.

In addition, we have been hitting the gym as much as we can. We totally understand how physically demanding this hunt is going to be, especially for lowlanders such as ourselves.

Our primary goal for this hunt, is the experience. This may be a once in a lifetime trip for us so our expectations on a successful harvest are well in check.

However, any advice, direction, starting points or anything tidbits that folks are willing to share would be greatly appreciated. I know that no one is going to give up their favorite secret spots, but even a good base camp location would be a ton of help. Our research has been pointing us in some specific locations, and validation of this would be really appreciated.

Always grateful.

Eric

Thanks for PMs guys. Should be a pretty epic adventure.

Looking forward to the help from all of the awesome forum members.

Hi Guys,

Looking at units 317, 560 and 520 for a while, by my worry is that they are extremely rough and rugged and may not be a hunt able as I first thought.

What drew me to those units were their remoteness, interior road less areas and what seems from satellite imagery to bee good sanctuary areas.

Would there be any major reasons to scratch these units off our go to list??

You are in some prime grizzly country hunting those units. Have never hunted them personally but do know there is a lot of bear. I dont know if this is a deterrent or not just an FYI.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back