MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Free Float Barrel

Slightball

I have a Rugar American with a synthetic stock but from the get go the barrel touches on one side. So far I'm one inch groupings at 250 yards consistently but I know in theory the touching affects the shot. Should I worry about it and if so, what is the fix?

When I first bought it I looked into it and saw people used a hand heater to remold it but that made me too nervous at the time and I have never revisited it.

Sanding can work, so can proper action bedding to better align barrel with channel, some have straightened tupperware stock with expoxy and a carbon arrow shaft. Lots of little tips out there, but $300 will get you a B&C stock that is a thousand times better than the DIY options.

I've never had one of those models in my hands, but a 3/4 or 1" dowel wrapped with sanding paper can remove some material in the stock to float it. Wrapping the barrel and using inletting black can show you all the contact points. Are the stocks on those stiff or do they have some flex?

I've never had one of those models in my hands, but a 3/4 or 1" dowel wrapped with sanding paper can remove some material in the stock to float it. Wrapping the barrel and using inletting black can show you all the contact points. Are the stocks on those stiff or do they have some flex?
A little flexible, as in I can pull it away with just hand strength but then it goes right back to touching the barrel

I glossed over the part about his groupings, one inch groups at 250 I'm not sure I would mess with it unless it is just something that nags at you. Try shooting it how you would in the field, off a bipod, pack, etc. If any field conditions negatively impact it I would just swap stocks. You'll probably be halfway into an upgraded stock if you start trying to correct the oem stock.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back