MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Franchi vs Benelli plus Bergara or DDM4

2ski

So I have some Christmas money and a few gift cards and might make a new purchase with them. I have a few questions.

First. I was thinking of getting a DDM4 and a Bergara Hunter in .308. But then I saw a Franchi on the shelf and that entered the fray. Then over the weekend, the salesman at Scheels starts talking up the Benelli.

So to start. What am I getting between the Benelli and the Franchi? Why pay more for Benelli. The action on the Franchi is already pretty smooth.

Out of that list, if you were to choose two what would they be, leaving out the Benelli. If it's the Benelli, I may only get the Benelli at this time. Would you get only the Benelli if that was the only gun or go for two of the others? My 870 takes 3's. Should I go with 3.5's on either shotgun if i go that route?

This will be my first purchase that isn't a Remington/Ruger/Savage level pricepoint.

What models?

Franchi is made by Benelli and uses a Benelli action.

Is this a waterfowl shotgun? I have a Montefeltro in 20ga and love it, I also own a Franchi Affinity Select.

You didn't mention which Benelli - there is quite a price spread. The Benelli Montefeltro is under $1000 online and will literally shoot a lifetime - this is the absolutely best semi-auto shotgun for the dollar in my opinion. The $1700+ Beretta and Benelli options are nice, but have nothing over the functionality and reliability of the Montefelftro other than 3.5"chambering. Get a good gun first, not a cheap gun followed by buyer's remorse and a second purchase. As for 3.5" vs 3" chambering. Most upland hunting is with 2 3/4", and 3" is plenty for most waterfowl and turkey. 3 1/2" is really only for long geese and turkey. You take a pounding and they are more expensive to shoot. I would stick to the 3" chambering for the money. YMMV.

As for rifle, I would definitely go Begara Hunter over DDM4 as I am not a AR guy.

I've never felt like I needed 3.5's. Like ND said, what kind of hunting will you be using it for? Do you already have a hunting rifle? My next shotgun upgrade will be to a Winchester SX4, which is almost half the price of a SBE (if that's the model you're talking about).

If I was buying a new shotgun today, I would look hard at the new Browning A5 or the Beretta A400.

If you wanna shoot 3.5" buy a 10 gauge. You dont really gain much with 3.5" in a 12 gauge bore over 3". That's an entirely different argument I spent years ahootingb3.5" beating my shoulder before realizing that. Otherwise I've own two sbe's but if I had to do it over again I'd buy an m2 or go with the franchi. The internals between the two are similar if not the same but they both may not feel the same. I would say just try handling them and see what feels better. Shotguns are all about fit. I own both benelli and franchi and love then both imo there hard to beat.

I have the Franchi Affinity in 20 gauge and I love it. It has the inertia system like Benelli. Hope that helps. Get the bolt rather than the AR.

I agree with several others, there is little need for 3 1/2 inch particularly if most of your hunting is up land game. While Benelli and many others offer shims to change the fit of a gun I think I’ve seen one guy actually use them. (I guide 50 to 60 upland days a year). Before you tap the trigger do some good reading on shot gun fit, enough so you understand the principles. Base your decision on that. I do not shoot a Remington 1100 very well. I have a fitted British double I shoot better but it was simply built with cast on for a south paw. When I’m training my dogs and absolutely must kill a pointed bird because the dogs did everything right I take my Benelli. Same one I splinted my leg with after a chucker hunting mishap.
have fun, hunt often.

They are bothe nice shotguns... I’ve got an affinity 20 and a montefeltro. You can’t go wrong..... the benelli will probably last you a lifetime.... the affinity will probably last you long enough. I have a super black eagle that i wouldn’t trade for anything, I’ve literally worn the dip off of it and it’s off being redipped now. I know I’m getting older now, the last two guns I bought were side by sides.

I agree with above shoot whatever you get as often as you can!

Here's some more info.

So the Affinity would be the Franchi. The Super Black Eagle would be the Benelli. I upland mostly. I wouldn't mind doing more goose hunting but it's not my main hunting. My thought was since I have an 870 in 12 gauge so having the 3.5 in a new one would allow me to shoot the bigger loads when needed, though it wouldn't be often. And I do know about shotgun fit. Both fit me fairly well. But a lot of shotguns fit me. But I have a buddy who doesn't fit most shotguns.

Currently I have a .243 and a .270 in bolt guns. The .308 Bergara would be an additional one for the quiver. If it's enough gun I'll always grab the .243. But I want more gun and something that can touch some longer distances.

I have an Andersen AR. The DDM4 would probably replace it and I would sell the other.

Here's some more info.

So the Affinity would be the Franchi. The Super Black Eagle would be the Benelli. I upland mostly. I wouldn't mind doing more goose hunting but it's not my main hunting. My thought was since I have an 870 in 12 gauge so having the 3.5 in a new one would allow me to shoot the bigger loads when needed, though it wouldn't be often. And I do know about shotgun fit. Both fit me fairly well. But a lot of shotguns fit me. But I have a buddy who doesn't fit most shotguns.

Currently I have a .243 and a .270 in bolt guns. The .308 Bergara would be an additional one for the quiver. If it's enough gun I'll always grab the .243. But I want more gun and something that can touch some longer distances.

I have an Andersen AR. The DDM4 would probably replace it and I would sell the other.
Buy the franchi and don't look back.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back