Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Fox shotgun

Sask hunter

I know there is better places to check but figured I would check here before joining a shotgun forum. I inherited an old fox sterling worth shotgun. It was my great great grandparents. Anyone able to point me to a place to look up serial number to find age on this gun?
IMG_1733.jpeg

Someone called? :)

I'm 99.9% sure that there is a Fox Collector's forum somewhere. I'm not a Fox or American doubles guy, so I don't know much about them.
If you can't google up a Collector's forum specifically for foxes, then you might try the doubleguns.com forum. There are guys on that forum that are incredibly knowledgeable about doubles of any type, though they can be a bit, hmm, caustic at times.

You have a decent gun. Not a collector of course, but one that you can spruce up or use as is and enjoy it and your family's history either way.
It might be worth having someone look at it to ensure that it is safe and that shooting it won't cause further damage to something that may have already started (like a wood crack, for instance). This is not a gun that you are going to stoke with Prairie Smoke hot loads or whatever. But if it is sound, it can kill another lifetime's worth of pheasants, ducks, and turkeys.

Someone called? :)

I'm 99.9% sure that there is a Fox Collector's forum somewhere. I'm not a Fox or American doubles guy, so I don't know much about them.
If you can't google up a Collector's forum specifically for foxes, then you might try the doubleguns.com forum. There are guys on that forum that are incredibly knowledgeable about doubles of any type, though they can be a bit, hmm, caustic at times.

You have a decent gun. Not a collector of course, but one that you can spruce up or use as is and enjoy it and your family's history either way.
It might be worth having someone look at it to ensure that it is safe and that shooting it won't cause further damage to something that may have already started (like a wood crack, for instance). This is not a gun that you are going to stoke with Prairie Smoke hot loads or whatever. But if it is sound, it can kill another lifetime's worth of pheasants, ducks, and turkeys.
Yes I would like to use it for some upland birds once in awhile. I found the forum and it looks like it was built in 1914

12 guage. Not sure on the chambers or choke
They are almost certainly 2.5" chambers. That's okay. You can still shoot 2.75" ammo in it. That will bump pressures 500-800 lbs probably, but you can easily stay in the range of safety. To find out what the chokes really are, you need a fairly sophisticated bore gauge. A good gunsmith should have the ability to do that, but a simple plug or key gauge in the muzzle is not really going to do a good job.

Both chambers and chokes might be alterable, BY A GOOD SMITH that knows how to measure them properly before cutting anything. But shoot it for a while as is, and enjoy.

You could make a project out of sprucing it up if you wish. You could possibly make it look like new or you could just get it cleaned up, cut through most of the old, cloudy and dark finish and still have it look like what it is, an old gun. Anyway, a great thing to have been gifted. Enjoy it.

They are almost certainly 2.5" chambers. That's okay. You can still shoot 2.75" ammo in it. That will bump pressures 500-800 lbs probably, but you can easily stay in the range of safety. To find out what the chokes really are, you need a fairly sophisticated bore gauge. A good gunsmith should have the ability to do that, but a simple plug or key gauge in the muzzle is not really going to do a good job.

Both chambers and chokes might be alterable, BY A GOOD SMITH that knows how to measure them properly before cutting anything. But shoot it for a while as is, and enjoy.

You could make a project out of sprucing it up if you wish. You could possibly make it look like new or you could just get it cleaned up, cut through most of the old, cloudy and dark finish and still have it look like what it is, an old gun. Anyway, a great thing to have been gifted. Enjoy it.
What sort of pressure are you shooting? I’m thinking I’m going to have to start shotshell reloading for this gun

What sort of pressure are you shooting? I’m thinking I’m going to have to start shotshell reloading for this gun
Oh, that's getting a bit out of my league. I'd probably look to stay under 9000 for sure, try to stay down around 7000 I suppose. But this is where you need to talk to those guys that play with Foxes full time. Not me. Reloading on your own would be good. FWIW, I'm loading 1.25 oz of lead or Bismuth with Longshot in Winchester AA hulls. Those would probably plenty safe in your gun, but get that from an expert. Not me.

Oh, that's getting a bit out of my league. I'd probably look to stay under 9000 for sure, try to stay down around 7000 I suppose. But this is where you need to talk to those guys that play with Foxes full time. Not me. Reloading on your own would be good. FWIW, I'm loading 1.25 oz of lead or Bismuth with Longshot in Winchester AA hulls. Those would probably plenty safe in your gun, but get that from an expert. Not me.
Apparently Remington hulls are supposed to be good to reload which comes in handy I have a case

Apparently Remington hulls are supposed to be good to reload which comes in handy I have a case
certainly. There are different types of Remington cases (as with Winchester as well), and that matters. Is there a name associated with those Rems? Some are tapered inside - like an Win AA hull. Some are parallel sided like a Winchester Express hull. The two types take different wads.

Brent has the gun covered. Lovely piece & a fantastic candidate for conservation & restoration.

Not sure about Canada, but you get plenty of 2.5" shells pre-rolled.

Given the condition & strength of the action, I'd not be afraid to run 1.25 oz loads in it at all.

Might try the 1 oz loads as well and see what patterns best.

What are the bbl length & chokes?

I know there is better places to check but figured I would check here before joining a shotgun forum. I inherited an old fox sterling worth shotgun. It was my great great grandparents. Anyone able to point me to a place to look up serial number to find age on this gun?
View attachment 311818

Date of manufacture by serial number link here.

And a link to the definitive written word on AH Fox guns by Michael McIntosh.

I would get low pressure 2 1/2” shells from RST, or load your own. You’re probably not going to do high volume shooting anyway, so roll crimping would be a good option.

I’ve got a few vintage American side-by-sides from different manufacturers and all measure shorter than 2 3/4” chambers. Similar to how I won’t shoot 3” shells in a 2 3/4” chamber, I won’t shoot 2 3/4” shells in these guns.

One other thing to consider about shell/load selection is recoil. While the action may be strong enough for modern shells, the 109 year old wood may not. Wood that old is prone to cracking, especially where the buttstock attaches to the action.

I would get low pressure 2 1/2” shells from RST, or load your own. You’re probably not going to do high volume shooting anyway, so roll crimping would be a good option.

I’ve got a few vintage American side-by-sides from different manufacturers and all measure shorter than 2 3/4” chambers. Similar to how I won’t shoot 3” shells in a 2 3/4” chamber, I won’t shoot 2 3/4” shells in these guns.

One other thing to consider about shell/load selection is recoil. While the action may be strong enough for modern shells, the 109 year old wood may not. Wood that old is prone to cracking, especially where the buttstock attaches to the action.

Solid advice.

Reinforces Brent's call to take it to a smith and check overall condition. If the smith gives the ok, then I'd even say consider lengthening the chambers if you don't want to shoot 2.5's.

Get the chokes checked as well. If the bbl is imp/mod, you're golden. If it's mod/full, I'd get it bored out to IC/M.

a 1 ounce load of #5's is plenty for roosters. Switch it up to 6's or 7.5's for grouse, huns, chukar & doodles

Brent has the gun covered. Lovely piece & a fantastic candidate for conservation & restoration.

Not sure about Canada, but you get plenty of 2.5" shells pre-rolled.

Given the condition & strength of the action, I'd not be afraid to run 1.25 oz loads in it at all.

Might try the 1 oz loads as well and see what patterns best.

What are the bbl length & chokes?
Yes really crappy selection in Canada. I reload rifles already so mine as well jump both feet in and add shotgun to the mix lol. I’m not sure in chokes or barrels. Looks to be about 28”

Yes really crappy selection in Canada. I reload rifles already so mine as well jump both feet in and add shotgun to the mix lol. I’m not sure in chokes or barrels. Looks to be about 28”

Take it to a smith and get it checked to be sure, or look on the barrel flats for marking and we can try and suss it out ourselves if FS marked choke (which they do not seem to have been).

Brent likes 2.5" chambers and 2" chambers because he secretly wants a 6.5 creedmore, but can't bring himself to chamber it in a hi-wall.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back