Found this guy last winter. age??

Looks very old. We aged a 21 year old bull from Washington a few years ago, guy had pics of sheds from previous year and found it dead the following spring. Reminded me of the movie Benjamin Button. If I remember correctly the bull was similar to this one in year 20, with the sheds, and in his last year he was basically a rag horn with more mass from significant regression.

We can age the ivories as mentioned above, although the lower incisors provide the best ages. We can also send you the crown back as we only process the root.

I have noticed this with several bulls we have aged in the 11-13 year range scoring well above 300, as high as 350-380. Makes me curious what they score as a 6-8 year old as the archery record Felix bull from a few years ago we aged as 6.
Makes me wonder what the Felix bull would have scored at age 10 to 14.

In my wildlife mgmt class we learned that there was a cow elk in Wyomings elk area 7 that had been estimated to be 30 years old. None of us in class were even that old.

I wish I would've aged the bull I killed last year. I don't think he was very old but it still would've been interesting to know.

Wow! What percentile did it give?

I'm not sure what you mean by percentile.

The cementum age reliability received a certainty code of 'A', meaning the "cementum characteristics of the tooth section very nearly match those of the standardized cementum aging model for the species and tooth type."

In my wildlife mgmt class we learned that there was a cow elk in Wyomings elk area 7 that had been estimated to be 30 years old. None of us in class were even that old.

I wish I would've aged the bull I killed last year. I don't think he was very old but it still would've been interesting to know.
If you have the ivories we can age those as well. That’s the tooth researchers pull from live animals and they typically yield good results. Likewise if it’s special to you we can send the crown with the root trimmed off back to you once complete.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back