Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

found a monster Montana mule deer antler.(for real this time)

antlerradar

Yesterday afternoon some friends and I got back into some remote for eastern Montana country. I was walking down a south slope when I spotted what I thought at first was a heavy three point antler under a juniper. Some times you get lucky and find that one in a thousand antler. Much to my surprise when I got it out from under the juniper the antler gained a lot of size. Ten scoreable points and 84 total inches. We found the other side a hundred yards away but it is just a three point with a big browtine and is badly chewed up.

Attachments

• DSCN2579.JPG
    DSCN2579.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 326
Last edited:
Did you see this deer running around?

Did you see this deer running around?
I may have when he was young and just a three point. After that I never did see him. I found him dead in 2014. A big three point with some extras near the browtine. An old deer, his teeth are worn down more than most.
It is quite a ways in and thick timber on most of the canyon so it is hard to find the few deer that are there. I only get in there maybe once or twice a year. I will try to get some pictures of the head up when I get time.

Antlerradar,,,, Nice find! Other than this nice old shed, have you found others? How do you think the critters wintered in your neck of the woods? Remember that there will be a whole lot of folks hanging on our response that got really excited with your giant shed find! Again, nice find!!

Antlerradar,,,, Nice find! Other than this nice old shed, have you found others? How do you think the critters wintered in your neck of the woods? Remember that there will be a whole lot of folks hanging on our response that got really excited with your giant shed find! Again, nice find!!
So far I have found right at 40 antlers this year. Got to be one of the slowest starts for me in the last 40 years. With all the old grass and the snow in Feb and March it has been tough. This mule deer antler is by far the best mule deer antler. It is really hard to find a big mule deer antler any more. One in a thousand may even be a bit generous.
I think that the deer wintered ok. Feb and March sucked but the rest of the winter was pretty easy on the deer. I am not finding more winter kill than on a normal year. I have found a few whitetails that look have died last fall from EHD. Might have had a bit more EHD last fall than I thought.

Nameless. I found the buck dead in 2014. It is fairly fresh. I would say that the antler was dropped no later than 2013. Laid there no less than 6 years. It was laying tines down and under a juniper tree. This kept the tines up side from weathering too badly

Last edited:
What is the rule on deadheads in CO? I found a big ass muley in velvet the other day, did not bring it home as I wasn't sure.

Yesterday afternoon some friends and I got back into some remote for eastern Montana country. I was walking down a south slope when I spotted what I thought at first was a heavy three point antler under a juniper. Some times you get lucky and find that one in a thousand antler. Much to my surprise when I got it out from under the juniper the antler gained a lot of size. Ten scoreable points and 84 total inches. We found the other side a hundred yards away but it is just a three point with a big browtine and is badly chewed up.
Great find

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back