Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Fort Peck, Hell’s Creek

Western Traveler1

I was planning on my first trip to Hell’s Creek in the Spring but ended up sheltering in place. I had no idea the popularity of the area and the earliest reservation I could get when I finally woke up, for a camp site was in early July which I booked.
A complete novice when it comes to walleye fishing. Not looking for your honey hole 😏but it is time to learn to fish something besides trout in Montana. It is a humbling venture for me.
Information on the following or anything else you deem helpful would be appreciated.
1. Likelihood of getting a non-reserved tent site with power in a week or so just driving in on a weekday?
2. Simple summer tent or wall tent for a week of fishing and exploring the area? I know my wall tent will stand up to the weather but it is more work for sure. Worth it?
3. Weather heat wise in late June/early July? Hot with zero wind or careful what you wish for?
4. Skeeters?
5. Generators allowed if I can’t find an electric site?
I’ll be fishing out of an older 16’ Spectrum so thought this area would serve me best.

Last edited:
I was just down there last weekend fishing and fished it for the first time last year in July and August. I would personally bring your wall tent and set it up. A afternoon thunderstorm could make a regular tent pretty wet. You can probably camp remotely at the Boy Scout Point, and not stay right in the campground, and you can long line your boat from the shore. I live in a tent or back of my truck for three weeks a month while working over there, and it cools off in the evenings. And swimming in the lake cools you off.
I don’t have a boat so I fish from the shore, but I know they catch a lot of walleye at the mouth of Hell Creek out in the lake off the rocky points. I think most guys troll bottom bouncers until they find fish. The lake waves can swamp a boat when the wind picks up to 20 mph s.
You can catch some large pike and smallmouth from the shore. I use a rapalas, or float a minnow off a cork.
You will love it down there, it’s Gods Country.

Attachments

• B63017EE-BD76-45DC-88BA-4BDF7E3666BF.jpeg
    B63017EE-BD76-45DC-88BA-4BDF7E3666BF.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 40
  • F1656BBB-FBFB-4723-90FD-A342D0A54015.jpeg
    F1656BBB-FBFB-4723-90FD-A342D0A54015.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 39
I was just down there last weekend fishing and fished it for the first time last year in July and August. I would personally bring your wall tent and set it up. A afternoon thunderstorm could make a regular tent pretty wet. You can probably camp remotely at the Boy Scout Point, and not stay right in the campground, and you can long line your boat from the shore. I live in a tent or back of my truck for three weeks a month while working over there, and it cools off in the evenings. And swimming in the lake cools you off.
I don’t have a boat so I fish from the shore, but I know they catch a lot of walleye at the mouth of Hell Creek out in the lake off the rocky points. I think most guys troll bottom bouncers until they find fish. The lake waves can swamp a boat when the wind picks up to 20 mph s.
You can catch some large pike and smallmouth from the shore. I use a rapalas, or float a minnow off a cork.
Thanks for responding and nice fish! I am surprised by some of the photos of shore caught fish down there. Sounds like I can at least secure a place to camp just maybe without electricity.

How were the mosquitos?

If the weather is good you could go over to Snow Creek. Better fishing, no people. You're screwed for a day if it rains.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back