Caribou Gear Tarp

Forgotten Calibers

those would work Brent-----my daughter is currently looking for a specific dog blood line and she suggested

The original bitch

but maybe, although I am referring to a female dog, I should not use that word on the forum---just delete the post Randy, if offensive to some

Europe - I won't wilt. Perfectly good english to me.

There was/is a guy in South Carolina that was trying to recreate the original wild dog of North America. Interesting project.

Maybe paleocartridge would work

I think the word you're looking for is "vintage cartridges". Some were quite good and are still used today, although in high-end rifles and typically for European or African work.

Some examples:

9.3x72r
8x57jr
350 Griffin & Howe
280 Ross
anything Collath
318 Westley Richards
240, 275 and 300 Holland & Holland
333 Jefferey

These aren't wildcats. They certainly all do their jobs VERY well. They were made to be used in fine rifles, many of which still exist. Several of these are parents or siblings to very popular modern cartridges also.

Then there are vintage cartridges that were almost completely retired and unpopular 15 years ago that are now the "it thing" with hunters going on big-deal hunts, the best examples:

404 Jefferey (probably the best example of a cartridge renaissance ever)
450 Rigby
350 Rigby
300 H&H
450/400 3" Nitro Express
470 Nitro Express

Dare I say, I also put .243 Winchester in this group. For most of my lifetime it was a "kids gun" or "first rifle" but today we're seeing a newfound appreciation for .243 winchester as a grown-up, best varmint-to-medium game solution for a lot of people. The Europeans and Africans have been slaying game with this cartridge in grown-up sized guns for 40 years while the Americans were saying "not enough gun". The addition of great bullets in the past 10 years have made some of these classics really come into their own.

Is there a term for a obsolescent cartridge that isn't commercially available anymore, like "wildcat," but in reverse?

"Classic Caliber", Maybe? We should start a term...

It seems that a lot of the reloading data still covers some of the older stuff, but most books are geared to the more popular rounds. For obvious reasons. I suppose you could call them and get reloading information. And there are forums like this one where you could still share information on the older stuff.

Technically they are called obsolete.

Like manners, kindness, grace & mercy.

I'm ok with that. I don't mind being obsolete.

Ben, I agree with the first part--I also miss many things that were common place at one time ( manners, kindness, grace & mercy )

But I am fighting the second part ( obsolete )--and losing. But I will go out with a bang, not a whimper and with no regrets. I have enjoyed life and have loved and been loved. My granddaughter asked me if there was anything I would like to do again and I told her --yes==all of it !

Brent, the most intense dog breeding program I ever experienced was a couple who breed and trained sled dogs for those who ran the Yukon Quest and Iditarod

Maybe one of you can start a Fridays tune thread tomorrow that will give us some ideas on a name to call the archaeocartridges --or we can call them, archeocartridges---but it will be your job to get this name and the definition into Webster (-:

Synonyms for vintage:
Rare
Classic
Prime
Select
Best
Prime
Venerable

Synonyms for Obsolete:
antediluvian
timeworn
superannuated
bygone
old-fashioned

Since these calibers are usually built for VERY fine or best rifles, Vintage is the word.

I wish the .270 Win would come back. I just listened to a podcast about back country cartridges and it never got mentioned! Haha.

Also, I've been trying to bring back (or just bring) the 9.3x62mm. I've killed a handful of elk and a couple deer with it. Does less meat damage than my .270.

Gibbs wildcats are not seen or custom made anymore. I have a 30gibbs and it is a great gun just tricky to reload.

I have always had a fancy for underdog calibers...some of mine include 445 supermag , 41 mag , 6mm rem , 35 moose juicer , 35 rem , 17 wsm .

The cartridges I am most excited about hunting with include my 35 Whelen, 444 Marlin, 35 Rem, 30/30 (yup), 8mm mauser, .280 Rem, and my newest .260 rem. But I always have a hard time putting down the 7mm mag, dang it's a tack driver and I am still working through my last amazingly accurate box of old Remington Premier with the Swift Sciroccos.

What about 32 Rem?

Personally i don't care for being called obsolete.
I prefer vintage... Lol

I've been seeing 318 Westley Richards, but not the 425 Westley Richards.

6.5 JDJ and 375JDJ along with the original 30 Herrett. For Contender guys which I am as I own a 30-30 Hunter along with a 223 and a 7-30 barrel.

hi everyone, i have a 257 bob rem. 760 for $1,025.00 if anyone is interested. thanks.

Back