Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forest Service Closed PAC NW.

Sytes

Bear season is on the verge and FS has begun closing access due to covid?

Someone needs to educate the powers that be the definition of self distancing...

200330_covid_hiking_hero.jpg

The road referenced is to the Enchantments which has been overrun with hikers the last few years and a literal shit-show as times with piles of crap and garbage everywhere. Not going to be doing any social distancing in that area. We checked out a NF trailhead on the edge of CDA last week and it was ridiculous how many people were there. Same with a popular local BLM trailhead.

Luckily for us, not many people getting to the trailheads before 7am. So far anyways...

We are very fortunate that our Governor in Montana (Steve Bullock if you don’t know) has declared outdoor recreation a necessity.
Of course all social distancing applies, and going alone is the best way to avoid contact.
This has been my source of sanity in a time when tensions are high, truth is elusive, and idle time can lead to stress and worry.
I am very lucky to live in the heart of National Forest, Wilderness, BLM, and State Land in SW Montana where I can quickly get away and let the trouble stay at home for a few hours.

Mentioned this in another thread though relevant to this topic and a revision due to residents saying, "WTH?" With the original bear hunt suspension for all:

For the residents of Alaska, at least there's a logical revision.

ANCHORAGE (KTUU) -
UPDATE, April 2, 2020: Gov. Mike Dunleavy rescinded the cancellation of all spring bear hunts in Alaska Thursday, saying that spring bear hunts will be open to Alaskan hunters, but not available to those non-residents and anyone from outside the state.

"There's already enough restrictions on movement," Dunleavy said. "When we make an advisory or mandate, we get feedback, and sometimes we revise it."

Updates will be reported as made available.

ORIGINAL STORY, April 1, 2020: The bear hunting season would have begun this week in various communities across Alaska, but the state has now officially put a stop to spring hunts.

"This was discussed internally," said Gov. Mike Dunleavy during a press conference Wednesday evening. "Given the fact that the virus is very disruptive, and the enforcement issues, the answer.... is that the spring bear hunts will be postponed this year."

We are very fortunate that our Governor in Montana (Steve Bullock if you don’t know) has declared outdoor recreation a necessity.
Of course all social distancing applies, and going alone is the best way to avoid contact.
This has been my source of sanity in a time when tensions are high, truth is elusive, and idle time can lead to stress and worry.
I am very lucky to live in the heart of National Forest, Wilderness, BLM, and State Land in SW Montana where I can quickly get away and let the trouble stay at home for a few hours.
+1
f.png

Bear season is on the verge and FS has begun closing access due to covid?

Someone needs to educate the powers that be the definition of self distancing...

200330_covid_hiking_hero.jpg

The greater Leavenworth area, where that photo comes from, has been hit hard by the closures. People live in that town (the year rounders at least) because of all the access to high quality natural areas. There is only one area left that is still open and it is SLAMMED with people. I would say most are accepting the restriction for now though. The Governor just extended the Stay Home order until May 4th. I think that'll be about the last extension he'll be able to make without significant push back

I have posted a similar statement on another thread but I don't really think the full scope of what is happening with this COVID 19 is realized by many. Closing these areas is not about taking away our rights or political motivation (I personally am not a fan of Inslee or his politics). Almost 90% of us have to travel between our homes and outdoor recreation areas and between areas we stop for gas, local grocery stores for simple things like drinks, ice or various other items. By nature of this virus a LARGE percentage of us DO NOT know we have it and many will never have symptoms. On that note if I travel from Western Washington (King Country Metro Area) where the largest case load is, bring the virus to an area that does not have a high case load via a stop at a rural gas station, grocery store or the like, infect your grandmother and she passes, not because she couldn't fight the disease but rather because the rural community she is in doesn't have the means to take adequate care of her then I would say that is a real tragedy that could have been avoided. On that note if you infect your grandmother or parent because you stopped at the same gas station, contracted the disease and then brought it back to your wife or family member and they god forbid passed away I couldn't imaging the guilt and life long struggle of carrying such a burden. This isn't about fear, nor is it about my or your personal sanity. It's common sense and although you can't live your life on what if's or the possibility of harm, common sense has to rain in this reality we find ourselves in. This is a much more complicated issue than just saying "It's not in my town" or "I don't feel sick" or "the man can't keep me down" or "I am not in the high risk group".

I spent my entire career in health care , understand disease, disease process. A virus with no known cure, no effective treatment that has a "current" mortality rate of almost 4% is no joke. On top of that our healthcare system is not setup for this type of situation. The only true way to combat something like this and is 100% effective, is to "stay away from it". The only way to do that is to treat everyone as if they have it, social distance and do "everything" possible to mitigate the spread of it. The policies put in place here in Washington are about mitigating the spread. No your not gonna get it while on a boat while enjoying your favorite fishing hole or on a hike in the mountains but you may very well get it or transmit it while on the way to your favorite boat launch, trail head or outdoor recreation area.

Honestly it's not fun being at home when spring is in the air, I have a coveted bear tag in my pocket, been preparing all winter and I have been dying to get out. On that note it's also FAR from the most difficult thing I have done in my life. It's just not hard to stay at home and enjoy some time with my loved ones. In the end it may help save a life. None of this is personal. This is a collective American effort. This country is so far removed from hardships of years past and sacrifices of "the people" I think we have forgotten what it's like to come together as a society for the greater good of America.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same with Governor Walz in Minnesota. Trout opener is calling my name!

@ntodwild I hear what you're saying though this follows along the lines of respect for the self distancing principle. Either one respects self distancing or s/he doesn't give a rats and will abuse such.

Market's are open, gas stations are open. I had our internet tech at our house and usually we shake hands, yammer about this and that, etc... Today was maintained distance and discussions from some 15' apart. He didn't ask for distance, nor did I. We both have that respect for our setting.

Back to your post. I agree, people need to limit / minimize their interaction w/ others. Going bear hunting, in State or out of State is fine in my book, so long as that social distancing is maintained.

Gas stations rarely involve close proximity to employee(s) and guests. Have your wipes / sanitizer, nitrile or other gloves, insert card, pump fuel and on your way.
Market's, I was at our local market and respectful distance was maintained the entire time.

For myself, life / economy must continue and a solid respect for distance and use of PPE. If bear hunt camp and the stop at a fuel station, market is too close for your comfort, all respect for your decisions.

IMO, fishing/hunting - is as in tune for distancing as it gets. Maintain a vigilant approach towards distance and PPE and I've done the best available.

I value Montana government for the decisions to keep our bear season and outdoor activities as "essential". We must keep a sound psychological perspective for mental health and not lock ourselves within four walls.

Best to you and all for our health in this heightened sense.

I hope that with snow melting and more areas becoming physically accessible that this issue will quiet down for areas that have not yet been closed. Part of it depends on the specific problem areas, proximity to population centers, public perception, and the disposition of the USFS Regional Supervisors, Forest Supervisors, etc. In my opinion a closure like this is a decision best made at the Supervisors Office level as opposed to the region. I feel the District level is too fine, and Regional is too gross. That's my biased opinion based on the NF's that I'm familiar with.

I have posted a similar statement on another thread but I don't really think the full scope of what is happening with this COVID 19 is realized by many. Closing these areas is not about taking away our rights or political motivation (I personally am not a fan of Inslee or his politics). Almost 90% of us have to travel between our homes and outdoor recreation areas and between areas we stop for gas, local grocery stores for simple things like drinks, ice or various other items. By nature of this virus a LARGE percentage of us DO NOT know we have it and many will never have symptoms. On that note if I travel from Western Washington (King Country Metro Area) where the largest case load is, bring the virus to an area that does not have a high case load via a stop at a rural gas station, grocery store or the like, infect your grandmother and she passes, not because she couldn't fight the disease but rather because the rural community she is in doesn't have the means to take adequate care of her then I would say that is a real tragedy that could have been avoided. On that note if you infect your grandmother or parent because you stopped at the same gas station, contracted the disease and then brought it back to your wife or family member and they god forbid passed away I couldn't imaging the quilt and life long struggle of carrying such a burden. This isn't about fear, nor is it about my or your personal sanity. It's common sense and although you can't live your life on what if's or the possibility of harm, common sense has to rain in this reality we find ourselves in. This is a much more complicated issue than just saying "It's not in my town" or "I don't feel sick" or "the man can't keep me down" or "I am not in the high risk group".

I spent my entire career in health care , understand disease, disease process. A virus with no known cure, no effective treatment that has a "current" mortality rate of almost 4% is no joke. On top of that our healthcare system is not setup for this type of situation. The only true way to combat something like this and is 100% effective, is to "stay away from it". The only way to do that is to treat everyone as if they have it, social distance and do "everything" possible to mitigate the spread of it. The policies put in place here in Washington are about mitigating the spread. No your not gonna get it while on a boat while enjoying your favorite fishing hole or on a hike in the mountains but you may very well get it or transmit it while on the way to your favorite boat launch, trail head or outdoor recreation area.

Honestly it's not fun being at home when spring is in the air, I have a coveted bear tag in my pocket, been preparing all winter and I have been dying to get out. On that note it's also FAR from the most difficult thing I have done in my life. It's just not hard to stay at home and enjoy some time with my loved ones. In the end it may help save a life. None of this is personal. This is a collective American effort. This country is so far removed from hardships of years past and sacrifices of "the people" I think we have forgotten what it's like to come together as a society for the greater good of America.
Sure. Or just think you could be driving you kids to soccer, have your brakes go out, or a tire blowout, lose control, and t-bone my grandma, killing her, and permanently injuring yourself and kids. But I bet you don't quit driving. And that risks exists, last year, this year, and every year you've been or will be alive.

I 100% agree closing public lands is not about taking away rights. But neither is the movement to restrict gun rights, both are about saving lives. But we cannot live a life that revolves around eliminating the risk of death.

The idea that we should be comparing this to previous generations hardships seems ridiculous. This isn't about the fairness of a hardship. It's about a different perspective of your "common sense". What does that mean to each of us. To me it doesn't mean an indefinite suspension of all activity to prevent some people from dying. To me it does mean working from home, stopping all public gatherings, reducing the person to person interactions that define our typical day to day lives. But it also means that if people can go to the grocery store, if people can shop for home improvement projects at home depot, they sure as shit can go fishing or go for a hike. Take that Enchantments example. You could close Snowlakes and Colchuck/Eightmile and those crowds aren't just going to all decide to hike up Chatter Creek or Trout Creek.

Sure. Or just think you could be driving you kids to soccer, have your brakes go out, or a tire blowout, lose control, and t-bone my grandma, killing her, and permanently injuring yourself and kids. But I bet you don't quit driving. And that risks exists, last year, this year, and every year you've been or will be alive.

I 100% agree closing public lands is not about taking away rights. But neither is the movement to restrict gun rights, both are about saving lives. But we cannot live a life that revolves around eliminating the risk of death.

The idea that we should be comparing this to previous generations hardships seems ridiculous. This isn't about the fairness of a hardship. It's about a different perspective of your "common sense". What does that mean to each of us. To me it doesn't mean an indefinite suspension of all activity to prevent some people from dying. To me it does mean working from home, stopping all public gatherings, reducing the person to person interactions that define our typical day to day lives. But it also means that if people can go to the grocery store, if people can shop for home improvement projects at home depot, they sure as shit can go fishing or go for a hike. Take that Enchantments example. You could close Snowlakes and Colchuck/Eightmile and those crowds aren't just going to all decide to hike up Chatter Creek or Trout Creek.

As stated in a previous post with you. I will just have to agree to disagree with you and truly pray and hope this virus does not effect you and yours in any way. We certainly do have "different perspectives" of common sense as you so elegantly put it. Stay safe and stay healthy. All the best to you and your family.

I have posted a similar statement on another thread but I don't really think the full scope of what is happening with this COVID 19 is realized by many. Closing these areas is not about taking away our rights or political motivation (I personally am not a fan of Inslee or his politics). Almost 90% of us have to travel between our homes and outdoor recreation areas and between areas we stop for gas, local grocery stores for simple things like drinks, ice or various other items. By nature of this virus a LARGE percentage of us DO NOT know we have it and many will never have symptoms. On that note if I travel from Western Washington (King Country Metro Area) where the largest case load is, bring the virus to an area that does not have a high case load via a stop at a rural gas station, grocery store or the like, infect your grandmother and she passes, not because she couldn't fight the disease but rather because the rural community she is in doesn't have the means to take adequate care of her then I would say that is a real tragedy that could have been avoided. On that note if you infect your grandmother or parent because you stopped at the same gas station, contracted the disease and then brought it back to your wife or family member and they god forbid passed away I couldn't imaging the guilt and life long struggle of carrying such a burden. This isn't about fear, nor is it about my or your personal sanity. It's common sense and although you can't live your life on what if's or the possibility of harm, common sense has to rain in this reality we find ourselves in. This is a much more complicated issue than just saying "It's not in my town" or "I don't feel sick" or "the man can't keep me down" or "I am not in the high risk group".

Running the econy

The greater Leavenworth area, where that photo comes from, has been hit hard by the closures. People live in that town (the year rounders at least) because of all the access to high quality natural areas. There is only one area left that is still open and it is SLAMMED with people. I would say most are accepting the restriction for now though. The Governor just extended the Stay Home order until May 4th. I think that'll be about the last extension he'll be able to make without significant push back
If you close the beer and brat gardens you kill half the reason to go to Leavenworth.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back