Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

? For You Guys that Have Tinkered with Savage Actions

Interesting thread, especially since I am planning on taking an Axis 2 in 7mm-08 and converting it to something else, 280AI, 260Rem or whatever floats my boat at the time.

260Rem isn't much an issue but with the 280AI I would have to swap out the Boyd stock I have on it.

All my Savage rifles 10/110 and Axis always get the recoil and ejection parts upgrade. Savage simply makes the stock stuff to flimsy.
.260 rem is a short action.

.280 ai is a long action.

.260 rem is a short action.

.280 ai is a long action.
The Axis line has the receiver build as long action only.
To use short action cartridges there are different magazines. The space from long to short action magazine is taken up with different trigger guard assemblies.
The short action trigger guard is longer in the front.

Never have seen one of those before. Looked them up and it looks like to get the recoil lug off the action you have to un-screw the barrel? If you simply take out the sction screws and lift it, won't the recoil lug come out with the action? Something must be missing here, looks like if you simply leave the barrel and action together there should be no problem bedding the recoil lug?
No.
The recoil lug is snug fitting in the stock.
There is a recess made into the bottom of the action.
When removing the stock, the recoil lug stays in the stock.
If you turn the barreled action over, you can see the recess & the threads of the barrel.

Do the Axis and 110 or other Savage models use the same bolt assembly?
Pretty much.

I have all the bolt heads now to load anything based on .223, .308 or belted magnums.

I can put any one of those three into the same bolt body.

The difference is the length of Short vs long action.

There’s a fourth size for like the .338 lapua. Pretty much an action of its own.

This is the .223 and magnum bolt head.
EA3EF9F9-7A2B-4F32-90A1-DDBE6C795FA5.jpeg

I came across a website about a week ago that has stripped down Savage Axis receivers for sale at discount prices. Blems it would appear. Im kicking around getting one, maybe 2, for my next build-project. Just not very familiar with Savage.

What I'm considering is a light weight 284 Winchester. The Savage actions caught my eye because my impression is they are lighter than Rem 700, which is what I've used in the past. Kinda like the idea of starting from a stripped down receiver because I really dislike the Accutrigger that comes on most Savage rifles.

I’ve got a Steven 200 LA in .30-06. Bought it moons ago for like $185. My plan had always been to blue print it, turn it into a .280 Remington mountain gun for elk.

This fall I decided to finally make that entire dream happen.

I’ve now got all the barrel tools etc to swap barrels etc on savages. I’m even making myself a barrel vice after installing the .223 barrel on my model 10. Holding the action and then tightening the lock ring to the barrel always resulted in the head spacing changing on me because the barrel would turn when actually torquing the ring the last 20-25 lb-ft.

By the time I started to look at buying the tooling to actually blueprint the bolt and action…. Wow, things got expensive.

Expensive enough, I opted to find a cheaper alternative.

That was to buy a Big Horn Arms Origin action, install a triggertech primary trigger and then get a criterion barrel and spin on it since a production gun no longer comes in the caliber, and more import, or twist rate that I want.

In the end, it’s cheaper to get that custom action which already has most of that work done to it already I’d want done to it.

I still have my stevens LA to work with. It’s just not going to be that mountain gun I was dreaming of.

I have a rifle basix Sav-2 coming for my savage Model 10 that started life as a Model 10Y youth gun in .243. There’s also a MDT YRS chassis coming as well to convert the bLind magazine to a detachable magazine compatible with AICS pattern magazine.

The Big Horn action give my freedom to use Remington 700 pattern stock, triggers and scope mounts, but the both and barrel are all savage. Best of both worlds there as far as I’m concerned.

From my understanding, Winchester put out the .284 Winchester as a response to the 7-08.

@Brian in Montana,

Shoot me that website, please!

I actually don't mind the Accutrigger that much.
Plain Axis trigger is about 6lb and gritty.
Also note, with the Axis, they do take a different trigger assembly than a 10/110.
I put a Rifle Basix SAV-1 in my Axis. Took a lot of playing with to get it to operate correctly, with the safety working correctly.
Even more work, and i'm at a nice, but still heavy 8 oz.

@Farmerj,

The 284 Win was Winchesters response to the 280 Rem.
They increased the case diameter to increase volume, while hopefully keeping it a short action.
Problem was the Model 88 & Model 100 that they released it in.
Had they designed it for their Model 70, they would have had a sure winner!

Pay attention to the specs on your reamer!
The freebore for the SAAMI standard 284 Win is real long!
A 160gr Sierra HPBT GameKing is barely in the case neck to touch the lands in my rifle.
Curtesy of the original lever action & Semi auto that they were originally designed for.

Last edited:
284 win is a short action.

280 Remington is a long action cartridge

My understanding.

My understanding.
And your right.

Issue comes on bullet selection.
A lot of match shooters, namely F-Class and long range bench rest, shoot 180gr+ weight bullets. And seat them so the bullet shank/boat tail sit right at the shoulder/neck juncture of the case.
If you don't fire it, for whatever reason, extraction can be a PITA in some of the short action receivers.

Much like the 7X57 Mauser family of cartridges.
You can get them to work in a short action receiver.
But a longer receiver is really a better option.

The intermediate length Mauser actions lend themselves extremely well to the 284 Win cartridge.
But for a hunting build they are heavy (almost 3 lbs).

Last edited:
For those looking to upgrade the Axis trigger, Jard is the only one i've found thus far that has the complete trigger assembly.
www.jardinc.com

Only 2 issues i see with them.

1) They are $219.95.
2) They come in pull weights from 11oz to 20oz.

For a hunting rifle, i'm not too sure many would want a trigger at 1lb 4oz.

For a match rifle, the 11oz would be hard to beat!

Rifle basix sav- 2 is what I’m putting in the model 10. $135 at E Arthur Brown. From like 4 oz to 3 lb settings.

Rifle basix sav- 2 is what I’m putting in the model 10. $135 at E Arthur Brown. From like 4 oz to 3 lb settings.
Yeah, i wish they fit an Axis action!

Guy at my local matches was running a Stevens 200 action with the Rifle Basix SAV-2 trigger.
I forget whose barrel he was using.
But he was the guy to try to beat.
He beat the custom actions the majority of the time.

My understanding.
Your right but you can build 284 long action and good gunsmith make it feed. I shoot one on long action and seat bullets out. My first build using 284 case was 6.5x284 Norma, SAAMI Spec OAL 3.228". Case Capacity 280 is 67gr and 284 is 66 grains on cases I have. There is reason their making 284 brass now and it's not Win.

Yeah, i wish they fit an Axis action!

Guy at my local matches was running a Stevens 200 action with the Rifle Basix SAV-2 trigger.
I forget whose barrel he was using.
But he was the guy to try to beat.
He beat the custom actions the majority of the time.
My stevens 200 is still stock. Pre accutrigger…

And I see little to no reason to replace it. A bit a polishing and adjusting the lawyer out of it, thing is a dream to shoot. Like 1 1/2 # trigger pull and glass.

I have a Sav-2 trigger coming to replace my Model 10 accutrigger…. I just can’t get it to work how I like. After watching the install today on the Sav-2, I’m thinking of taking another go at it.

I’ve swapped barrels on a few savage rifles, bedded some stocks, etc… but I guess that I’m in the minority in that I like the Accutrigger.

I’ve never messed with the Axis, only 10/100/116 series, and I prefer the full-line savages:
- I have had to replace a weak firing pin spring in the bolt of my 116 due to light primer strikes. Bolts are easy to take apart, and I clean mine regularly
- The full-line savages bolt head “floats” so I’m told that blueprinting and lapping is of little benefit on them (I’m not a precision/long range shooter, so I can neither confirm nor deny this)
- I have made my own action clamps that go into a bench vise, but they only last one or two uses because I’ve used pine instead of oak. A 1/4” screw through the factory action hole and some rosin prevent it from slipping
- I believe that the Axis line uses a different bolt, which is thinner and rougher (not that the full-line is as smooth as a Tikka or something), and may not have the floating bolt head
- I put a 24” 308 win barrel on a long action once that shot really well. It did give me some unreliable feeding problems though , so I’ll be looking for an SA donor action in the future. That barrel is sitting in the safe

I like gunsmithing and working on my Savages, but if I was going to truly “build” a rifle that I was going to invest in machining and custom gunsmithing then I would probably build on a Stiller or other custom action.

I’ve swapped barrels on a few savage rifles, bedded some stocks, etc… but I guess that I’m in the minority in that I like the Accutrigger.

I’ve never messed with the Axis, only 10/100/116 series, and I prefer the full-line savages:
- I have had to replace a weak firing pin spring in the bolt of my 116 due to light primer strikes. Bolts are easy to take apart, and I clean mine regularly
- The full-line savages bolt head “floats” so I’m told that blueprinting and lapping is of little benefit on them (I’m not a precision/long range shooter, so I can neither confirm nor deny this)
- I have made my own action clamps that go into a bench vise, but they only last one or two uses because I’ve used pine instead of oak. A 1/4” screw through the factory action hole and some rosin prevent it from slipping
- I believe that the Axis line uses a different bolt, which is thinner and rougher (not that the full-line is as smooth as a Tikka or something), and may not have the floating bolt head
- I put a 24” 308 win barrel on a long action once that shot really well. It did give me some unreliable feeding problems though , so I’ll be looking for an SA donor action in the future. That barrel is sitting in the safe

I like gunsmithing and working on my Savages, but if I was going to truly “build” a rifle that I was going to invest in machining and custom gunsmithing then I would probably build on a Stiller or other custom action.
For me, i think it's the blade on the Accutrigger that turns most people that don't care for it off to begin with.
In the age of the lawyer triggers, i actually don't mind it at all.

I'm at a loss as to why anyone needs an action wrench (or clamps) for a Savage.
Barrel vice, nut wrench & a 3lb hammer is all that's needed to take a barreled action apart. I do use a torque wrench to put together.

The Axis, like the 10/11/12/16, still has the floating bolt head.
Squaring the receiver face & lugs only helps with accuracy.
If you have a lathe, squaring up the bolt head help too. But otherwise the squared up bolt heads from PT&G are worth the money.

Smoothing out the lug raceways helps with bolt smoothness immensely!
Along with the bolt "lift kits".

Getting a short action cartridge working correctly in a long action is sometimes a challenge for all the manufacturers.

I went with a Big Horn Arms Origin action.

Rem 700 pattern on the outside for stock, trigger and scope. All savage on the bolt and barrel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back