For you bighorn experts, let's play the annuli game

Have fun with this one.

Got a sadistic streak, do you Mr Miller?

That photo, while a wonderful piece of art like most of yours are, is an excellent example of why I do not support age-determining requirements in our game regulations. Whether full curl, three-quarter curl, half curl or "any ram" requirements, all those are, or should be, reasonably workable regulations under real-world hunting conditions even in those rare circumstances where snow, rain, fog, blowing dust, glare or even (heaven forbid!) drifting smoke might impact mountain visibility in a somewhat deleterious manner.

Updating my reply: Many of the photos, and the wide range of SWAGs offered in response to Craig Miller's game support my position that full curl, three-quarter curl, half curl or "any ram" are sufficient requirements for realistic field conditions.

Thanks for posting the fine photographs and initiating an interesting and somewhat 😢 informative thread. Thanks also to other members for their photos, insight and humility :D. (None need point out that I did not offer any opinions on rams' ages myself. I'm older by six decades than any of those rams. I'd like to think that I learned a thing or two in that amount of time, even if it wasn't how to accurately count horn annuli.)

Who the hell knows. What a mess.

Second shot is pretty crappy, but I liked the action.
51827493726_4dc668c418_o.jpg

51826528312_21e4a245fd_o.jpg

Last edited:
I Love Craigs photos never sheep hunted but applied like many for yrs and IMO most of these fall into the old enough for me if I had the tag lol

I'm saying only 8. Body condition on a 10-12 year old ram would be a lot worse off as well.

Mark it up and let's see where you break it down.
I feel like it's always a WAG for me.
Keep in mind that the distance between annuli decreases proportionally each year. If you find lines that don't fit that pattern don't count them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back