Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

For bird dog lovers.....

I know this is a really old thread. I found it in search of cruciate ligament. Tycho just turned 8 years old (picture in my avatar). He is definitely my best friend and found out a couple days ago that his right side is tore. He started limping and it turns out it has been torn for some time as that side has atrophied some. Vet said some dogs just try to tough it out. Broke my heart knowing he had been going through that and I was still taking him on runs without knowing. April 6 TPLO surgery. Tears even writing this. For what it is worth to anyone else who may ever go through this, vet said it is possible to get him back to 90-95% and have high quality of life. It was estimated to me to cost between $3-4K and 4 months for "full" recovery. The surgeon apparently does a lot of these which is comforting. I know that is a lot of money and I am blessed to be able to cover it.

Been there. Good news is that TPLO works. STRICTLY following recovery limitations and program is the key to success. Do that and the prognosis is excellent. Our pup had both legs done years ago and is still going strong.

My Brittany Annie had both legs done 2 years ago when she was 8. The results have been amazing! She is doing great. As was said above, follow the vets advice and be patient with the recovery. Good luck.

My Brittany Annie had both legs done 2 years ago when she was 8. The results have been amazing! She is doing great. As was said above, follow the vets advice and be patient with the recovery. Good luck.
Well, first leg surgery and recovery were great for about 6 weeks. The other leg tore and surgery on that leg was yesterday. Apparently 40% of dogs that tear one eventually tear the other. I have two Brittany's but the other is very young and he is not near the hunter as my older dog. Sucks it is during bird season.

Well, first leg surgery and recovery were great for about 6 weeks. The other leg tore and surgery on that leg was yesterday. Apparently 40% of dogs that tear one eventually tear the other. I have two Brittany's but the other is very young and he is not near the hunter as my older dog. Sucks it is during bird season.
Our Britt (also in pictured in my avatar) will be 12 this month and popped an ACL this summer. He wasn't a candidate for surgery due to some immune system issues, so physical therapy was recommended. After about two months, he is doing much better-- still a little stifflegged, not quite as spry, but able to get around pretty well for an oldtimer.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back