MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Footwear for MtnLion Hunting?

REDBEARD

Heading out to Wyoming this year to hunt with bcat....was wandering what is the best footwear for this hunt....I used White's Mtn Packs last year for an elk hunt, but I think they are a little heavy to be chasing cats?...how about some of those lightweight sno-trekker type hiking shoes that you see....any input would be greatly appreciated...thanks

REDBEARD

I usually wear the big 14 inch snow packs but like you say they are heavy, this yr I tryed a pair of LaCrosse Epics, was nice light weight, good traction, since there a lower top I wear leg gators for the deeper snow, was nice and lite and purty comforatable also. I think they costed around 90 bucks

------------------
chewin_md_clr.gif
GatoMan

I myself wear Lacrosse packs....your right they are kinda heavy, but I've been caught on some long chases and if the weather isn't that warm...them packs sure feel nice....I would rather pack the weight than have cold feet....just my opinion

I would keep right on wearing your whites. I wear white packs and have for years they one of the few that will hold up to the abuse.

------------------
when the tailgate drops the bullshit stops.

Warmth and good ankle support is a must for the country we hunt. Probably wont be too cold Jason, but ya never know that time of year. I use lacross pacs with the high tops and felt liners. Works up to about 40 below! You can use them easily in the stirrups on a saddle too without getting hung up in em. bcat

------------------
If you aint the lead dog the scenery never changes
bcatrunningcat.gif

Logoboy.jpg

Boykin's Hunting Homepage
HuntAndLodge.com
www.recworld.com/boykin

Bcat,

the whites pacs seemed to fit ok into those large plastic stirrups that we used last year....they have great ankle support and very good traction for the most part, except on those snow hidden icy logs...OUCH!....and I know what you mean about getting "hung up" in stirrups....!!!!

RB

Redbeard-We dont have any of the large plastic stirups, but have considered buyibg some in hunter orange for this years hunting. Just never had the bucks to change over. maybe this year we will have them before ya get here at least a couple sets of em!!! Cant wait.
biggrin.gif
bcat

------------------
If you aint the lead dog the scenery never changes
bcatrunningcat.gif

Logoboy.jpg

Boykin's Hunting Homepage
HuntAndLodge.com
www.recworld.com/boykin

bcat,

Im not sure what kind our guide/outfitter had last year, some were orange, but others werent, mostly black if I recall correctly....not sure where you'd get them anyway....we'll do fine with whatever you got Im sure....just gimme the fastest surefooted free sprited horse that you got, and we'll blaze trails!!.....

redbeard

bcat,

do ya think we'll need to bring snowshoes...I believe there are a couple a pair hanging around here somewhere...I get just as much a kick out of riding a horse in rugged terrain as I do killing a critter!!your in for a show, that is a guarantee I'll make....!!!...on the elk hunt last year, all the hunters and guides at the camp knew we were differnt, when we returned to camp after the first mornings hunt both with bloody noses....recoil is your friend!?!!

REDBEARD

Back