Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

food saver

Rooster52

This year I will have my food saver with me on my hunt to process my own game meat along with my freezer and Generator. The cost of processing an elk or deer is just getting too expensive for me to pay. $100 for a deer and up to $300 for an elk is just too high a price for me.

get the widest one you can get. Roasts don't fit well in my small machine and I end up having to wrap them in freezer paper. Also go on Amazon to get your vacuum bags...much cheaper than the FoodSaver Brand. You may have a few poor seal, fail to seal problems due to some blood or meat juice so stuff a piece of paper towel between the meat and the area you plan to seal to catch some of that

I've got the foodsaver Titanium and it does 15" wide rolls. Another thing I have found that works quite well is shipping wrap on the big rolls. I will wrap odd shaped meats and stuff that's too big to go in the foodsaver. I pulled a pork roast out of my buddy's freezer that was 6 years old buried in the bottom of a large chest freezer that was wrapped in shipping wrap and it was not freezer burnt or odd tasting. I use it for bone in hams when I butcher pigs and whole quarters that go in the freezer until I'm ready to butcher...and it's cheap for a 1000' roll.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that I think I'll get a new vacuum sealer soon also and i'm either getting one with a built-in bag cutter or going to find something to bags better than scissors or a knife to ensure a good bag edge

I recently upgraded to a vacuum sealer that includes a roll dispenser and cutter. It made a world of difference, much easier than using scissors or a knife.

My food saver has a built in cutter and a port that I can use to seal jars. I bought the marinade container and use the vacuum sealer to draw in the marinade for steaks. Does in 5 mins what takes overnight in the fridge

My food saver has a built in cutter and a port that I can use to seal jars. I bought the marinade container and use the vacuum sealer to draw in the marinade for steaks. Does in 5 mins what takes overnight in the fridge

We always wrap the meat tight in plastic saran wrap before vaccum sealing it. Just works better for us.

I find foodsavers at my local swapmeet all the time, sometimes new in the box and always for about $5-$10. For that price I have left the machines in HI, CO, AK, to use on return trips. I also find rolls for about $1 or less. If you have a swapmeet in your area check 'em out.

To me the greatest cost of having someone else cut my meat is that they would screw it up. I honestly hate cutting meat any more but still do it all myself. I always use my Foodsaver and saran wrap to process game meat and I've never lost a piece of meat to freezer burn.

The cabelas commercial vacuum sealer works great. 15 inch sealing bar and manual option. Buy one after Christmas for next year, they will go on sale for much cheaper.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerezA
Back