Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Fn win 70 trigger

b0nes

A couple years ago I bought a model 70 featherweight. The trigger is stiff and heavy, I also have a rem model 7 that has a custom trigger that breaks right around 3 pounds every time. When I'm shooting the winchester it takes so much to pull the trigger the rifle drifts. I'm not a perfect shooter by any means but I do ok. Is it better to adjust the existing trigger or upgrade to a jewel or timney?

I had my gunsmith adjust my 1956 Model 70, but the newer ones are said to be pretty simple if you follow the instructions properly or just take it to a decent smith. This is off the net:

The trigger mechanism on the Winchester Model 70 is remarkably simple. Remove the barreled acton of a Model 70 from
it's stock and you can see just how simple it is. You will see a trigger that pivots on a pin. Look at the rear portion of the trigger
(normally hidden by the stock) and you will see a square head screw (the trigger stop screw), three nuts, and a spring (we'll call it
the trigger return spring).

The purpose of the trigger stop screw is to limit the amount of over travel of the trigger. It is possible to screw the trigger stop
screw in far enough that you will not be able to pull the trigger enough to release the sear. Ideally the trigger stop screw should
be screwed in as far as it can and still have enough trigger movement to reliably release the sear. This will allow for the greatest
amount of adjustment of the trigger spring tension.

Tension on the trigger return spring determines a majority of the trigger pull weight (the rest of the trigger pull weight comes
from the friction between the trigger and the sear). The spring surrounds the trigger stop screw, both can be seen just behind
the trigger. The trigger stop screw is held in place by a pair of captive nuts, one on each side of the part of the trigger the stop
screw passes through. A third nut sets the tension on the trigger spring. Tightening this third nut (turning it clockwise) against the
trigger spring will increase the trigger pull. And turning it counter clockwise will decrease the trigger pull weight.

After making any adjustments, be absolutely sure to test for an excessively light trigger. To do this, screw the barreled action
back in the stock. With the bolt cocked, in the closed position on an empty chamber, and the safety off, butt down the rifle. That
is hold the rifle barrel pointing upward, let the butt bounce on the ground. It should take a considerable bump to cause the firing pin
to drop (on the empty chamber).

For me it would depend on the type of Mod 70 trigger. If it's of the older, simpler, open design I'd adjust it or have it adjusted to me acceptable. If it's the newer, enclosed trigger I'd consider an aftermarket replacement. Nice thing about the old ones is they are reported to be very reliable and easy to keep clean and working.

Bought in 2014, MOA trigger, FN built rifle. I've watched videos on adjusting the trigger but adjusting a trigger is the type of thing I would like to know what I'm doing before I started.

Bought in 2014, MOA trigger, FN built rifle. I've watched videos on adjusting the trigger but adjusting a trigger is the type of thing I would like to know what I'm doing before I started.

I think mine came set a like 3 lbs maybe 2.5, and its has been perfect. But it's a better put together version of most of the other M70's out there.

Read the manual. It walks you through the trigger adjustment.

Click on the link I posted and go to page 21- 23, it really doesn't get any easier than that. If you feel uncomfortable take it to a smith but that trigger is super easy to adjust.

If you can turn an allen wrench you can adjust it.

Last edited:
Back