MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Flying with your hunting dog

Toonces

I am planning a trip to visit a friend of mine in Minnesota for some pheasants and grouse this fall.

Last time I went I drove out there with my dog. Its quite a two day haul which I would rather not repeat mostly because that is two less days I could spend hunting.

I have never flown with my dog before and I am little nervous about doing it. Anybody have any experience on this? Any does and dont's?

Its about a three hour flight. My dog is a 92 lb labrador retriever.

Thanks for any thoughts.

I have friends who have done it, and they generally get some tranquilizers from the vet - for the dog, of course. :rolleyes:

A three-hour flight should not be bad. Is the dog used to the crate/kennel?

The dog likes the kennel as long as its in the back of my pickup.

I asked my vet about tranquilizers and he said they do not recommend it.

He said that the dogs can experience rapid temperature changes in the planes and they are better off if they are awake and alert so their bodies can deal with changes.

Not wanting to argue with your vet, but the point of the tranquilizers was not to knock the dog out, but to keep it calm and to keep it from hurting itself in terror - dosage is important and can be checked by trying different levels before the trip. Again, the idea is to keep the dog sedated, not unconscious. Just my opinion and the experiences of my friends.

Toonces......I fly my three GSP's from California to Tennessee every Spring. Most bird dogs are of an even enough temperament that they don't need tranqulizers. If they get car sick you might want to give them motion sickness medication.....other than that, unless they are very high strung, your dog will do fine. A lab especially should be an even tempered dog. They place dogs in a heated compartment that is pressurized just like the passenger cabin, so not to worry. Just make sure he has a kennel with a little room, one of the unspillable water dishes, and plenty to chew on....He will do Great!...Happy Hunting! :cool:

Thanks,

My Lab is a on the high strung side. That is why I am a little concerned.

Well, I would follow your vet's advice. The Ex (one of the reasons she is the EX) had a Toy Manchester which she treated better than the kids and was concerned about it flying for the first time and she had the vet give her a tranqulizer for it to take. He recommended we try it out on him bfore the flight, so we did. The damn dog had cardiac arrest, I ended up giving it mouth to mouth while we rushed to the vet and he revived it.....damn dog lived another 15 years. So, you just don't know how dogs are going to react. I would still try it without tranquilzers and I'm sure he will be OK.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe Orth
Back