Flying with firearm (any airlines to avoid)?

Some drug smuggler- “Oh let’s definitely put those in a gun case, they definitely will go unnoticed in a case that will 100% be opened and searched.”

It’s like Canadian border patrol searching US college students for drugs and alcohol going into Canada… guys, this isn’t how any of this works.
If security never thoroughly searched gun cases for drugs how long do you think it would take the smugglers to figure it out? I know of the son of a Montana chief of police who tried to get on board a plane in Kalispell with a portable meth lab in his carryon. Essentially a bomb ready to explode! Those junkies will try anything without even thinking ... because they can't think anymore.

Coming back from hunting in Montana last year my vehicle was searched by Canada border security ... at a crossing in the middle of nowhere ... at 3:00 a.m. All the staff involved were active outdoors folks. They enjoyed hearing about how the hunting was, looking at my guns, petting my dogs. But they still went through my rig with a fine tooth comb. I even showed them how to get into the Jimmy's tire jack compartment. When finished the gal in the bunch half apologized. "No worries! I know how it works. The light goes on in there and it's just my turn. Enjoyed the visit ... and I needed to stretch my legs anyway." May have kept me from dozing at the wheel and killing myself. Win win.

If security never thoroughly searched gun cases for drugs how long do you think it would take the smugglers to figure it out? I know of the son of a Montana chief of police who tried to get on board a plane in Kalispell with a portable meth lab in his carryon. Essentially a bomb ready to explode! Those junkies will try anything without even thinking ... because they can't think anymore.
My point is all gun cases are opened and searched, most checked bags are not, I think I've had my ski/snowboard bag checked once in like 15 flights. Ripping all the foam out of the case and squeezing it by hand seems pretty stupid after it's been through the X-ray... YMMV.

Coming back from hunting in Montana last year my vehicle was searched by Canada border security ... at a crossing in the middle of nowhere ... at 3:00 a.m. All the staff involved were active outdoors folks. They enjoyed hearing about how the hunting was, looking at my guns, petting my dogs. But they still went through my rig with a fine tooth comb. I even showed them how to get into the Jimmy's tire jack compartment. When finished the gal in the bunch half apologized. "No worries! I know how it works. The light goes on in there and it's just my turn. Enjoyed the visit ... and I needed to stretch my legs anyway." May have kept me from dozing at the wheel and killing myself. Win win.
You must look like a drug mule lol ;)

Good points.
- have enough locks for all points.
-I carry copies of the TSA and airline regs with me.
-allow plenty of time in the airport.
-be polite.
Those last two points make life so much better. If a man dresses respectably, is there on time, shows respect.

I would agree with the comment about avoiding the budget airlines (Spirit/Allegiant/Jet Blue).

I have as others noted had good success with Southwest.

Those last two points make life so much better. If a man dresses respectably, is there on time, shows respect.
Respect & being polite definitely help this process!
In addition, it is important to be CONFIDENT as they don't know their own process. I've had them remark to me a couple of times "you've done this before"

I've just flown with a gun once, and it was a month ago. Alaska airlines; Omaha to Anchorage. Very simple and easy process. They had me write down my lock combos and took it in the back to be inspected by TSA. It was waiting for me in Anchorage. TSA, however, did not get one of the locks locked back properly though, and kinda tried to jam it, which made it difficult to open. I also flew with my dog for the first time. Agree with others- read the airline regs, have enough locks and give yourself extra time!

My point is all gun cases are opened and searched, most checked bags are not, I think I've had my ski/snowboard bag checked once in like 15 flights. Ripping all the foam out of the case and squeezing it by hand seems pretty stupid after it's been through the X-ray... YMMV.

You must look like a drug mule lol ;)
By "in there" I meant light goes on inside the customs station. Not inside her head.

My experience has been the opposite… kinda, I think big airports are easy and small ones are a box of chocolates.

I’ve never had an issue out of Denver/Boston/Anchorage, had really annoying experiences in Ketchikan and Kalispell.

That’s been generally been true for me flying with firearms or not. TSA typically aren’t as agro as the rentacop TSA in rural areas. I’d 100% rather go through security in Denver than Bozeman.
The only issue I've had in Ketchikan is they wouldn't open my case even with TSA locks. They paged me and made me come open it for them. It's just inside their little walled off space so NBD.

The only issue I've had in Ketchikan is they wouldn't open my case even with TSA locks. They paged me and made me come open it for them. It's just inside their little walled off space so NBD.

They didn’t put my rifle on the plane, guns are supposed to be a must fly. TSA messed around with my case for the better part of 30min. It was ridiculous, took out all the foam and methodically squished every inch. Examined everything in the case... popped the batteries out of my camera and range finder. Absolutely F-ing ridiculous.

I was fuming when I got back to CO and didn't get my gun till the next day, then AK airlines just left it on my porch didn't call ahead didn't even knock. Certainly didn't check my id, and you can bet your butt I told the person at the airport on the Denver end my missing bag was a firearm.

Last edited:
Airport to airport I think varies more than most US Airlines. Only real issue I ever had was Seattle, gun came out very last and baggage agent was in no hurry to help. Going back I got there early and TSA swabbed by hard case and it came back for gunpowder residue so we had to wait for a supervisor. Super was cool -
We decided it would be more problematic if I had flown entirely across the country and never fired tje
Gun.

However, never ever use British Airways if flying with guns, they seem to alternate between refusing to carry or making it difficult

They didn’t put my rifle on the plane, guns are supposed to be a must fly. TSA messed around with my case for the better part of 30min. It was ridiculous, took out all the foam and methodically squished every inch. Examined everything in the case... popped the batteries out of my camera and range finder. Absolutely F-ing ridiculous.

I was fuming when I got back to CO and didn't get my gun till the next day, then AK airlines just left it on my porch didn't call ahead didn't even knock. Certainly didn't check my id, and you can bet your butt I told the person at the airport on the Denver end my missing bag was a firearm.
Ouch.

I was not permitted with Frontier guns two times. So I stopped taking it on trips. And when I flew business class with a bunch of meat and SW, nothing happened with my guns. Although, it may also be because business class has more privileges. I haven't studied this issue, but I liked flying like this. Less noise from other passengers, less fuss, children, and dissatisfied faces. People go to work or on their own business and behave calmly and well-mannered. This was my only business class trip, but I plan to repeat it when I see discounts on tickets to Canada before Christmas. Maybe it's time for me to browse ticket sites and buy everything in advance.

Last edited:
I've flown Delta, American, United, Turkish Air, with my rifle. Ive flown Air NZ without a rifle but with hunting gear and capes/antlers etc. I haven't had any major issues on any of them. If you follow the rules youll be fine. I wouldn't fly any of the "budget" airlines with my rifle.

Good points.
- have enough locks for all points.
-I carry copies of the TSA and airline regs with me.
-allow plenty of time in the airport.
-be polite.
This is a great summary list. Will add just a couple things. Non-TSA locks are fine and enough for all lockable points. The second bullet will be something I do everytime from now on, I was charged $200 for an oversize fee for my gun case coming home from Tucson. I smiled and paid it because I had to get our guns home. The airline reg you are looking for is "sporting equipment" and sub-heading "shooting equipment" and not firearms. The Airline refunded my $200 but it was a pain in the a$$.

It's not critical, but here's a handy tip. Put the gun case locks on upside down. That way the keyhole is always easily visible and accessible. No fumbling around trying to fit the key into a hole you can't see. Not applicable to Kalispel gun cases.

The four locks on my Pelican Vault case all use the same key. I always have four backup locks inside the ammo box (plus a backup for the ammo box) in case some overzealous security twit cuts them off. I understand it's happened. Backup locks are cheaper models and don't use the same key. My ammo box isn't a very fancy model so I duct tape it closed as insurance and duct tape the lock to it so it's not flopping around.

They pulled the foam looking for drugs. It was your turn. I always tell them I'd be happy to strip naked and subject myself to a cavity search if it makes the flight safe and helps the war on drugs.

The last time I flew out to Africa the gal at special security counter here did not even have me open the chamber when I opened the case for her. Perhaps I should do that? "Not necessary. We can see if it's loaded when it goes through the scanner." Not sure about that but I guess she figured if I wanted to keep my rifle and my federal possession license, I'd be smart enough to not show up with a loaded gun.
This is why I remove the bolt from my rifle and put it in a zip lock bag in my gun case.

This is why I remove the bolt from my rifle and put it in a zip lock bag in my gun case.
Nothing goes in my gun case but the gun. I don't want anything else possibly moving around inside. And I definitely don't want to give some anti-gun/hunting security person the opportunity to "accidentally" lose my rifle bolt during inspection.

Answering the original question, my advice, never, ever choose British Airways to fly with a firearm.
They will rip you off and cause you hassle, as will staff at Heathrow Airport

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back