Yeti GOBOX Collection

Flying with a firearm

CONative44

I want to hunt in California with my uncle this year. I’d fly Southwest Airlines from DEN-SFO. Anyone have experience flying southwest with a rifle and ammo?

Way easier than you would think. Double check the airline requirements, some require the ammo in a separate locked case and some don't. I seem to remember just having the ammo inside the locked case with the gun on Southwest when I flew with them with a rifle. Get there a little early and it shouldn't be a big deal.

Flew southwest in Oct from Den to Bos.

No issues, ammo can go in the case or another checked bag. I opted for the checked bag as I had a small rifle case. The other checked bag with the ammo does not need to be locked.

Denver is pretty easy, they get lots of firearm travel.

Only issue I had was last year at check in I was informed I needed locks in every available hole on the case. I had two locks securing the case which had four locations for locks. Despite having traveled several times with the weapon secured in the same case in the same fashion without issue, ticket agent was not checking the firearm secured that way. Fortunately we had time to go get the truck, run to town and buy two additional locks and make the flight.

Its a lot easier than you'd think and you almost seem to get special treatment. My recs would just be sure to follow the rules to the letter and print out a copy of the airlines firearms policy. It seems they don't deal with it a lot and many of the employees don't actually know the protocol. As others have said, arrive early! Don't sweat it.

Never had a problem until this last trip to Alaska. They wanted a lock on every case hole on the gun case which was 4 on mine. Only one place open that early in the morning at the airport had 2 cheapo locks which I bought (another hunter behind me was hosed when they didn't have anymore). Still had to have my wife bring me one from home so I'd have 4. This was on Alaska air. Never had to have 4 any other times I've flown with them. Like has been mentioned, give yourself extra time when traveling with firearms.

As others have said, locks on all points. I always carry printed copies of both the airlines and TSA firearms policies. You may well know their policies better than the agent.
I put my ammo in a handloaders box, tape it shut, and put it in the case with my rifle.
Some airports are definitely smoother than others. I've had no problems, though.

Also keep in mind that to transport once in CA in a car, the firearm and ammo must be in separate locked cases.

I'd be more worried about having my firearm confiscated while in California.

Also keep in mind that to transport once in CA in a car, the firearm and ammo must be in separate locked cases.

The locked case/compartment law only covers handguns (concealable weapons) not shotguns or rifles. Also ammo does not need to be locked away, just cannot be in/on/attached to a weapon. Grey area is pickups w/o lockable toppers, concealables must be in locked case in the cab, not in the bed according to most LEOs (though not often enforced).

Another strange part of their law is this: “When going to and from the vehicle, the firearm has to be unloaded and carried in a locked container.”

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back