Flying west

dgc1963

Ok need a bit of help I have taken my truck and drove out for my last few hunts havent taken airlines for quite a few yrs but im flying out to Idaho this September and called air line they said no issue with checking in coolers but web site said no coolers
Has anyone had issue with coolers being checked baggage ? Just trying to nail down plans

Fly back with one every year. No ice, only dry ice up to 5 lbs allowed. Styrofoam coolers aren't allowed. I buy a cheap igloo or Coleman when I'm west, use it hunting and check as a 3rd bag coming home.

Duct tape the cooler seams so nothing can leak out if something goes sideways on the way back. Also, get an AirTag to keep track of the cooler. And one for your gun case too.

Thanks guys Used them yrs ago never had an issue just trying to make sure im not at airport 2 hr till fight and having issues

Checked baggage can have unfrozen meat and liquid blood. However, make sure whatever cooler you use doesn't leak or they'll throw it out potentially hold you liable for anyone else's luggage you "contaminate".

Dry ice in checked baggage only, no more than 5lbs, must be able to vent. No liquid ice.

Big heavy rotomolded coolers are for truck beds, not airplanes. If the meat is already frozen, a Rubbermaid tote works just fine. It'll weigh less and hold more meat. I flew 20 hours from Hawaii with frozen meat wrapped in clothes in a tote and it was just starting to thaw when we got home.

You can bring frozen meat in your carry on or personal item as long as it's rock solid. No one weighs your personal item and carry on. With a little creativity, you can fit a lot of meat in those without worrying about keeping them under a certain weight limit.

Have a roll of duct tape on you to tape the snot out of everything in the airport after weighing all your bags. If you tape it ahead of time then have to shuffle stuff around at baggage check, you'll be in trouble.

We have traveled using a styro cooler in a cardboard box, everything frozen hard and with any extra space packed with those blue ice bags (frozen). No issues, the air tag is a good idea even if it tells you that your meat went to Tahiti.

David
NM

Called airline again and talked with a guy in AZ he said cooler are no issue
web site says no coolers just wanted to be sure

Called airline again and talked with a guy in AZ he said cooler are no issue
web site says no coolers just wanted to be sure
Ya never know ... till you talk to someone in the know. Just before leaving for Africa last August, I double checked to make sure my gun was still good to go. Checking the website for local airline Joberg to Port Elizabeth I was horrified to see in general baggage info no guns accepted. I know I checked before I booked and it was okay. I fired off an email to the Professional Hunters Assn asking for help and the gal responded immediately. "It's okay. See the conditions for allowing guns under 'sporting goods' section of the airline's baggage website." In general baggage it does say no guns but apparently they meant carry-on. Well duh!

Checked baggage can have unfrozen meat and liquid blood. However, make sure whatever cooler you use doesn't leak or they'll throw it out potentially hold you liable for anyone else's luggage you "contaminate".

Dry ice in checked baggage only, no more than 5lbs, must be able to vent. No liquid ice.

Big heavy rotomolded coolers are for truck beds, not airplanes. If the meat is already frozen, a Rubbermaid tote works just fine. It'll weigh less and hold more meat. I flew 20 hours from Hawaii with frozen meat wrapped in clothes in a tote and it was just starting to thaw when we got home.

You can bring frozen meat in your carry on or personal item as long as it's rock solid. No one weighs your personal item and carry on. With a little creativity, you can fit a lot of meat in those without worrying about keeping them under a certain weight limit.

Have a roll of duct tape on you to tape the snot out of everything in the airport after weighing all your bags. If you tape it ahead of time then have to shuffle stuff around at baggage check, you'll be in trouble.
A roll of duct tape and half dozen plastic ties is essential stuff inside my carryon baggage ANY time I'm flying.

I do it every year. Biggest factor is getting the meat frozen. After that just grab a cheap Wal-mart cooler(s) and you should be good to go. I have a 24-can soft-sided cooler that will hold both backstraps and loins and some trim that I use as a carry-on. Remember, no weight limits on carry-ons.

Two things to add/re-stress to the good advice you've gotten.

First, don't tape up the cooler before you check it. They almost always want to look inside. Just have the roll of tape ready in your hands.

Make sure the cooler can vent. I've flown with unvented coolers, but this year, they specifically checked and I was glad I had a cooler with a drain...

I flew 50 lbs of meat in one of these coolers to my in-laws in Texas this winter. They fold up nicely for easy flying to destination and keep meat cold for a long time. I didn't have any problems flying with them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back