Flying in and out of JFK with a rifle

Question for other's here: Is this common for someone to join and ask one question and then disappear ?
[/QUOTE]

Sometimes.

Never flown in or out of JFK, but we have never had a problem in any of the airports we have used.

Question for other's here: Is this common for someone to join and ask one question and then disappear ?

Definitely.

Also why the forum tends to be pretty brutal March-July when people get their draw results. We get this flood of first time posters asking about specific units, they get some info, they never return and they never share how they did.

wllm1313

or say "Thank you"

little off subject but we had a discussion last week among a bunch of us "old timers" or "has beens" as one young fellow called us. He said as he left the room "you has beens dont have a clue" . One "has been" said we know enough to know that he was rude LOL

Take it from me, out of personal bitter experience, printing off the rules and regs, (whilst in theory a good idea), and rocking up to check-in ain't worth a jot if you come up against a jobsworth, even showing them their own website and t&c's, and whilst you argue your case the clock is going tick,tick,tick....so in the end you just accept the crap they are spewing out.
That was leaving Heathrow on 3 out of the 4 times I have flown with a firearm and ammo to the US.
But not always Heathrow, leaving Bozeman, the TSA said ALL holes where a lock could be placed on our Peli cases had to have a lock installed, not 2 out of 4, I said 14 days prior to this it was all well with the TSA, yes that's true the TSA said, the rules changed....yesterday!
So we had to race around Bozeman airport searching for additional locks, all the time tick, tick, tick.....
Stress levels go through the roof!
Cheers
Richard

mile shooter ---while not every person working for every airline and every person working for TSA is going to interrupt the written word the same, most will and the interpretation from those that dont, wont be that much different. We always over prepared, so to speak, and have never had a problem domestically or internationally. You will be fine. Enjoy your trip

I forgot to mention, if it wasn't for the good people on here seeking out one of the most popular makes of Ammo still left on the shelves of the Sportsman Warehouse in 2014 on rifle opener I would never have got my bull. Back to the OP, I'm sure you will be absolutely fine, the US is used to dealing with transportation of firearms, the UK aren't!
Cheers
Richard

Mileshooter, If your flying "thru" Heathrow, we found British Air was never a problem. At one time they required a 72 hour notice however if you were going to be flying with a firearm in the checked baggage.

Also, at one time, we never took a 338 "anything" as that was the one caliber, more than ay other, that seemed to set off alarms as a military caliber. This has probably also changed.

Also at one time the ANOCDGA was in effect all around the world and it covered all military calibers, but that is also no longer being adhered to.

Dont forget a cross section of people work for the airline's and in the airport's. You may have the misfortune of having an anti hunter and anti guns person handling your paperwork.

But if we go through life always looking for and being afraid of the unknown, you will never leave the house.

Have a great trip and tell us about your airline experience when you return

Just to advise anyone thinking of booking British Airways with a firearm, don't do it, you will be charged over well over $100 to carry the rifle, and another $100+ to carry the ammunition, and that is one way, factor in the cost of the extra bag and its well in excess of $500 on top of your return trip, they are the WORST airline to book with in relation to flying with firearms!

Cheers

Richard

Last edited:
Well, I wont dictate to anyone and tell them what to do or not to do, but from memory the cost for a firearm to travel with you was increased by BA a couple years ago, so I dont know whether or not BA is the worst or not, but it may cost you more to use them.

I think Quantas also charged us, but I believe from memory it was simply an oversize/weight checked bag situation, but it did not matter as we enjoy Quantas for other reasons, so the cost was never the determining factor for us.

But if Devon Deer says Britsh Airlines is the WORST, you certainly should not use them. Unless their service, routes, comfort is better than another airline, then you may want to consider whether the extra cost is worth it to you, or not.

My husband use to to love PSA Airlines in Calif ( hot pants and Go=Go boots ) , most men did LOL

mile shooter. Call the airline or airlines you are considering using to wherever you are traveling to for your hunt. Read and understand the TSA requirements. It will be fine. I hope you have a wonderful trip and hunt, Please let us know how both the trip went and hunt after you return home. The only reason I responded is I dont want you to worry. Yes every airline is different and the cost's will vary, but taking a firearm with you in the checked luggage is not a problem.

Last edited:
Well, I wont dictate to anyone and tell them what to do or not to do, but from memory the cost for a firearm to travel with you was increased by BA a couple years ago, so I dont know whether or not BA is the worst or not, but it may cost you more to use them.

I think Quantas also charged us, but I believe from memory it was simply an oversize/weight checked bag situation, but it did not matter as we enjoy Quantas for other reasons, so the cost was never the determining factor for us.

But if Devon Deer says Britsh Airlines is the WORST, you certainly should not use them. Unless their service, routes, comfort is better than another airline, then you may want to consider whether the extra cost is worth it to you, or not.

My husband use to to love PSA Airlines , most men did LOL

mile shooter. Call the airline or airlines you are considering using to wherever you are traveling to for your hunt. Read and understand the TSA requirements. It will be fine. I hope you have a wonderful trip and hunt, Please let us know how both the trip went and hunt after you return home. The only reason I responded is I dont want you to worry. Yes every airline is different and the cost's will vary, but taking a firearm with you in the checked luggage is not a problem.
Thanks Europe I will give an update when I get home

dont know about the airlines out of JFK, but if you ever travel via Air Inuit, they will help you pack them :)

Anachutz, the West Point Rife team. Congratulations, very nice.

April, maybe, possibly, depending, :)

Mileshooter, enjoy your trip,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back