PEAX Equipment

fly, spin cast or bait

Flytier

Just wondering if the fishermen(women) here prefer to fly fish, spin cast, or bait fish? And do you prefer to wade, float, or fish from the bank?

I prefer bait, flies and very small lures for Crappie, bluegill, catfish, Walleye and trout.
For bass its lures only, unless I am looking for dinner.
I use spinning most the time, then spin casting reels . Just starting to learn flycasting.

Baitcasters for me on almost every technique except drop shot and mojo rigging. That's the only time I will use a spinning reel.

Unless I'm going after gay-bass then I'm stuck with spinning tackle because I don't have a clue as to how to use the fly casting tackle I have. They are hand me downs from my Grandpa and I wouldn't want to risk anything happening to them anyway.

Westy...

Flyfishing is the way to go. I really like it when flytier goes with me. It drives him crazy that I catch more than he does. He is kinda handy to have around. He ties a mean fly, but don't tell him I said that.

wow! this is a loaded question! some of you guys are very limited to the type of fishing thats available to you which really kinda sucks if ya like fishing! I live in Fla. and vacation in the west! so i have to be vesatile! here's a typical scenario for me!

freshwater trout = 6wyt flyrod & float boat or wade
bass fishing = baitcaster & bass boat
specks = canes poles, retractable fishing sticks, light spin casting equip. & bass boat
seatrout = flyrod 8wt or spin casters & flats boat,kayak or wade
redfish = flyrod 8wt or spin casters & flats boat,kayak or wade
snook = spin casters & flats boat
bluewater saltwater = level winds (penn),sam scott's and a serious boat ( 31' contender w/twin yamaha 250's) and full electronics! (not mine:()

spring:
good bass fishing
good seatrout and redfishing in the bays!
excellent speck fishing
excellent bluewater fishing

summer :
more bluewater saltwater !
bass fishing slows
trout and redfish in the bay are hit and miss!
loster and scallop season comes in! also spearfishing for grouper and yellow tails w/3 prong hawaiin sling spear 6'

fall : bowhunting!
excellent freshwater trout fishing
excellent speckled perch (cooler temps bunch them together in deep holes)
excellent bluewater dolfin run and billfish
bay fishing slows
good bass fishing

winter: bowhunting!
excellent freshwater fishing!
hit and miss saltwater!

i currently own :

16 abu garcia, baitcasters & various rods

4 penn international, level winds monted on sam scott rods!

6 spin casters, 4 diawa and 2 penn ,1 hvy. 2 med. 3. light

6 flyrods , 2 orvis ,2 scotts and 2 st. croix
12wt-5wt.

2 fishin sticks (fiberglass retractable cane pole)

and at last glance more friggin tackle and boxes than wal-mart!:D:D

oh yea 7 custom bamboo antique flyrods from the twenties! that dont get used!

any questions on where to go on your next FISHING vacation?

Yea, we are a bit limited here on our fishing. But we do have ice fishing and sturgeon. Being from Florida D you'd enjoy the surgeon here. They are really big and ugly. Kinda reminds me of what shark fishing might be like. Since your near the ocean and also fly fish, I'm going to South Carolina, then driving down to Florida (to werever the hell Disney World is). But since I get to see the ocean for the very first tie ever, I want to stand in the surf and fly fish. What can I catch doing that and what weight rod and line type should I use?

flytier, when ya comming ???? im about 30 min. from disney world! lemme know when your gonna be here and ill try to hook ya up with some fla. fishing!

ive never surf fished with a flyrod!!! but can try to find out more about it! seatrout and redfish we can do for sure!

give me some details and time frames and ill work something out for ya! you can post it or e-mail me !

Sounds great DKO. Still up in the air, but planning for sometime the end of this month or the first week of September. Not sure how long we'll be there, but can always make time to hook up. Going to try the fishing someplace near Myrtle Beach. Going to pick up the future ball and chain in SC. She wants to take the kids to Disney. She wants to buy a motorhome for the trip, since we'll go from Florida over to Texas then back to Idaho. She says after Texas (visiting my family) I can stop and do whatever I want, so Colorado and Wyoming will get fished pretty good. And since she's buying the love of her life a motorhome, it's back to Montana and Yellowtone in the spring before run off starts (and the "tourists" show up). I'll keep you informed of our plans so we can hook up.

sounds great! keep me posted and well make something happen! :D

Flytier... flyfishing in the ocean is a total blast... Baracuda are the funnest to catch on a fly rod....

Delw

I haven't fished in years. When I fished all the time, I did all of the above and it was mostly from shore. Am going to get more into fly fishing in the future though. I really enjoyed it the most.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back