Floorless shelter in the Midwest

E-Rock

Hey y'all! So I have been debating getting a floorless shelter some time now. Part of me wants to use it around the upper midwest, as I live here, (North Dakota and would use in MN) but am a little apprehensive with the mosquitoes and such that are rampant out here in the summer. I have really been looking at a Seek Outside option with a stove to use for winter camping or late season hunts with a stove.

Has any of you had any experience with a floorless shelter up here or in areas that have a lot of bugs? Or am I just worrying for nothing and should just invest. lol

Get a nest, or sew on a bug net around the bottom. There is nothing more miserable than having to seal up your sleeping bag and try to sleep when its hot... I guess I should say something more miserable is skeeters inside your sealed up sleeping bag.

They also suck when it raining really hard. I've filtered water out of puddles in my "floor" a few times :D

I'm on the fence with them, they have their place, but I mostly take a floored shelter. The only place they really shine is if you have a stove, or bugs aren't an issue. Otherwise most people take a "floor" and or a bivy, etc.

I live in Indiana and have a Seek Outside Cimarron. I bought it for hunting out West but have used it in Indiana in the summer when mosquitos are an issue. I don't have a nest but use a cinttanella candle and have 0 issues. We don't have what you do..I remember fishing up there and when the sun set you could hear the hum of the mosquitos 🦟 and if you weren't getting off the water you would be literally choking on them! Oh and if you go with it get the biggest stove they make or be prepared to wake up often to add wood.

Nest for sure, but to save money you can always set it up in the yard and make an informed decision before spending the money on a nest.

Like with all tents, floored or floorless, don't set up in a puddle, water drain path, etc. A tent floor, unless it's Dyneema, won't save you from a lake under your tent.

I have a Redcliff and here in SC I wouldn't consider using it without a screen of some kind except in what passes for 4th season here.

Last edited:
No. I use mine for the west, and at home in IA when the conditions are right (before bug hatch, etc).

I live in Indiana and have a Seek Outside Cimarron. I bought it for hunting out West but have used it in Indiana in the summer when mosquitos are an issue. I don't have a nest but use a cinttanella candle and have 0 issues. We don't have what you do..I remember fishing up there and when the sun set you could hear the hum of the mosquitos 🦟 and if you weren't getting off the water you would be literally choking on them! Oh and if you go with it get the biggest stove they make or be prepared to wake up often to add wood.
Oh yes, they can get bad. But I like the idea of the citronella candle or maybe even a thermacell. But thanks for the advice of the stove.

Nest for sure, but to save money you can always set it up in the yard and make an informed decision before spending the money on a nest.

Like with all tents, floored or floorless, don't set up in a puddle, water drain path, etc. A tent floor, unless it's Dyneema, won't save you from a lake under your tent.

I have a Redcliff and here in SC I wouldn't consider using it without a screen of some kind except in what passes for 4th season here.
Definitely worth testing before the field. Looking at doing some at home winter camping with it, so the first time being out in it when its snowing is not when I'm on a mountain.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back