FL to MT 2020

You were there way too long.
You were there way too long.
I kept begging my parents to stop there and they obliged. I picked out a giant white gobstopper. Once we were back on I-90 I managed to knock it past my teeth by opening my mouth as wide as possible and hitting the ball of candy with the heel of my hand. With my mouth now propped open I leaked sticky white drool all over my clothes and the car until we passed Spearfish when it finally was small enough to spit the thing out.

I grew up on the hi line in and around Havre. Sure isn’t what it was in the 80s and early 90s for public hunting. Glad you have a spot to hunt. Be sure to get a beer at Triple dog and maybe a pizza from Nalivkas. Good luck!

Last edited:
Dad has passed on filing his B tags so far but has had plenty of opportunity. Both of us have passed on several small bucks, mostly spikes. We have at least another day and a half here before we head further south to look for some elk. More to come hopefully.

Thanks for following along y'all.

Dad finally punched a B tag on a mature whitetail doe.

20201026_164646.jpg

We had an eventful day. After jumping a big 10-point Whitetail early in the morning we went on a hike to where we thought he may have run. On the way back, we glassed up a bachelor group of four mule deer bucks. We rushed over about a half mile to where they were headed and eventually found them even further along and where we thought. We tried to sneak in but we couldn't get any closer than about 300 yards . After doing our best to get ready, which was tough with the deep snow and limited line of sight, we both took a shot but unfortunately missed. Dad thinks he might have been using the wrong hash on a scope and shot High. Not sure what happened on my end probably buck fever as I've never gotten the mule deer buck, and it was comfortably the biggest buck I've ever seen in the wild.

We are going to hunt all day tomorrow trying to fill our A tags. Then we will head out early Wednesday down to the castle mountains to spend a couple days looking for Elk.

No deer killed today. Several bucks stalked, all stalks blown. We've got a few hours in the morning to try and fill out tags and then we head out for elk for a couple days.

On the plus side we did see several groups of muley bucks heading back into town after dark. Here's hoping they are up and moving tomorrow.

Well, we left Havre with both A tags still in our pockets after an uneventful morning. Just checked in to the hotel at White Sulphur Springs and headed out for a quick evening drive to check out the roads and maybe a short evening hunt.

No dice fellas. The roads are too sloppy for these Florida boys. Looks like we're resigned to spending tomorrow trying to pop a doe on some BMA property....

Might have to look up the Catlin Ranch... Lol 😂

Last edited:
No dice fellas. The roads are too sloppy for these Florida boys. Looks like we're resigned to spending tomorrow trying to pop a doe on some BMA property....

Might have to look up the Catlin Ranch... Lol 😂

Jesus H how many doe tags can you get?

A few, but this would be using up our A tags. In theory they are good for either sex whitetail or buck mule deer in this area.

But there tons of whitetail around so we figure that's our best bet.
Then why don’t u spend tomorrow trying to pop a couple bucks to fill tour A tags . Shouldn’t be hard ...

Back