Fixing social security

What is your most preferred method of changing the social security system?

• Remove the upper pay-in limit

Votes: 64 48.1%
  • Continue to push back the age of first withdrawal as needed

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • Reduce benefits to maintain system solvency

Votes: 4 3.0%
  • Abandon it all together over time and let everyone fund their own retirement

Votes: 44 33.1%
  • Don’t know

Votes: 12 9.0%

• Total voters
It is only this evil government that is providing legal frameworks that allow you to bestow wealth after your passing.
wrong. The government exists to safeguard my freedom, not to provide it. Your rights don’t come from the government, or the constitution, or the legal system. They come from the fact that you’re a human being with inalienable, god-given freedoms. The governments only job is to safeguard those things.
we would have a better and harder working society if the govt did not facilitate transfer of wealth from one creator to one non-creator at death.
yes, I would work SO much harder if I knew that instead of passing the fruits of my labor on to the most important people in my life, it would be confiscated by the government to be mismanaged, sent overseas, and distributed to freeloaders. Just typing this out makes me want to go get a paper route.

wrong. The government exists to safeguard my freedom, not to provide it. Your rights don’t come from the government, or the constitution, or the legal system. They come from the fact that you’re a human being with inalienable, god-given freedoms. The governments only job is to safeguard those things.

yes, I would work SO much harder if I knew that instead of passing the fruits of my labor on to the most important people in my life, it would be confiscated by the government to be mismanaged, sent overseas, and distributed to freeloaders. Just typing this out makes me want to go get a paper route.
First, is a revocable trust god given? How about a SPAC? Did god provide a huge tax advantage to "carry" in the PE world? Is it Leviticus or Acts that says the wages of laborers should be taxed at twice the rate of capital? Is it inalienable that a lawyer can't operate under an LLC but can under an LLP or PA is fine? Where in the fundamental laws of nature does fiat currency fit? How about banking bailouts? Nothing about our current financial system is a god given right - they are complex policy driven democratically governed laws - and I am just suggesting the policies behind the laws need some tweaking so that hard working middle class folks can have a better go of things and preventing the formation of a permanent financial ruling class (effectively a modern inherited aristocracy - something the founding father's would not have liked much).

As for fruits being confiscated. Unless you are in the top 0.1% there is no confiscation going on since <$13 million is exempt. But Bezos unborn grandchildren appreciate your profound concern for their burdens.

Last edited:
Yep - put in the sweat equity. Buy that small farm and grow it. Buy some neighboring land and farm that to produce more. Rinse and repeat. Pass it to their children so that they can have a career and grow the business. I am 100% for that model. Hell, I would even invest in a small farmer to help make that happen so hopefully they can be successful over several generations.

And then folks show up after a generation or two and demand they sell off bits and pieces because the value of that land has increased over a few decades and these farmers are now "evil rich". They don't bother to look at the sweat equity that was put in from day one. They weren't part of the tough times when there was a drought or the rains washed away the seeds and there was no crop to sell to pay back the loans that had to be taken out. They only see some rich person that has more than they do and demand their "fair share".

I can hear tiny violins playing.

You will be hard pressed to find another industry with a more robust safety net than production agriculture. They get heavily subsidized crop insurance, crop price supports, disaster relief, and on and on.

We should all be so lucky.

You will be hard pressed to find another industry with a more robust safety net than production agriculture. They get heavily subsidized crop insurance, crop price supports, disaster relief, and on and on.

Stop it. They all "bootstrapped" themselves. Free money so cattle/crops can be raised in unprofitable places. Prop tax, crop insurance, income tax, inheritance tax - they have it all so bad.

Yah now they do, that's not what he was referring to. If you think generation of farmers had it easy, well thats interesting at best. Crop farmers aren't the only one in the game. Dairy amd meat production isn't nearly as cushy as you make it out to be either even in today's world.

Stop it. They all "bootstrapped" themselves. Free money so cattle/crops can be raised in unprofitable places. Prop tax, crop insurance, income tax, inheritance tax - they have it all so bad.
Sounds like you need to quit engineering and take up ranching.

Yah now they do, that's not what he was referring to. If you think generation of farmers had it easy, well thats interesting at best. Crop farmers aren't the only one in the game. Dairy amd meat production isn't nearly as cushy as you make it out to be either even in today's world.

I never said it was a cushy job. Two of my uncles farmed in eastern North Dakota. One of them had dairy cattle. So, I have respect and empathy for farmers.

That does not mean that they don't have a safety net that most do not.

I never said it was a cushy job. Two of my uncles farmed in eastern North Dakota. One of them had dairy cattle. So, I have respect and empathy for farmers.

That does not mean that they don't have a safety net that most do not.
I'm guessing you meant to put a *don't in there?

Sounds like you need to quit engineering and take up ranching.
Na - i choose my career and am perfectly happy with the choice. Lot of family in ag.

Those in ag should take up following their own philosophy (small govt) - or stop making excuses against pickpocketing the tax payer.

Want an example? 30 billion of subsidies in ag - that outcombines coal, renewables, and o&g combined in all years. Guess ill remember that when we talk "worthless" energy subsididies.

Na - i choose my career and am perfectly happy with the choice. Lot of family in it.

Those in ag should take up following their own philosophy (small govt) - or stop making excuses against pickpocketing the tax payer.

Want an example? 30 billion of subsidies in ag - that outcombines coal, renewables, and o&g combined in all years.
Well when the government started the subsidies and the neighbor who your competing takes them and if you don't keans your out of business it's a little tricky. I agree we should do aways with subsidies. A lot of farmers woukd agree, unfortunately its a little more involved at the point its gotten then just shutting it off like a light switch. You get what you vote for.

You mean to tell me the average small business has the financial security that a small "farm" does?

Thats explicitly untrue in crops.
I read that wrong. Coffee is still kicking here. My bad, missed the don't somehow. Pushing forty it made be time for spectacles after all.

Well when the government started the subsidies and the neighbor who your competing takes them and if you don't keans your out of business it's a little tricky. I agree we should do aways with subsidies. A lot of farmers woukd agree, unfortunately its a little more involved at the point its gotten then just shutting it off like a light switch. You get what you vote for.
why dont you go on cadastral and see what a little zoning gets you?

I have a subdivided undeveloped 1 acre lot. It borders a 307 acre lot zoned "ag" what do you suppose the prop tax is like? 1/5th of what that 1 acre with nothing sitting on it. Cute. Or in others words - i pay 1500x as much per acre thats largely the same land.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back