Caribou Gear Tarp

Fixed power scopes 6x end of an era?

Empire State

I've searched and come up short. All the usual suspects, Leupold, Nikon, Bushnell, Burris seem to be out of the fixed power scope business. Leup has a 6 x 42mm but it's rather large, I find their 6x36mm on ebay but commands a pretty penny.

Am I too out of the game, time to turn the page and just give in to a 4-12 or whatever? I like the simplicity of a fixed, they don't freeze up, even at -20 (which I will *never* do again, thank you). FWIW it's for a yet to be finalized 300 WM.

SWFA 6x is good if you spin turrets, but if a 6x42 Leupold is too big, it’s not going to be what you want.

The 6x42 isn't really big compared to the alternatives, and you can see in the dark with them. They will still set pretty low. I like a fixed 6x. They are fabulously outdated.
Nice looking setup. Got me thinking... it'll be for an older rifle. 6x seems classic..

Did Leupold drop the FX-II and FX-III 6xs? Hard to beat a 6x42 whether it’s a Meopta or an FX-III.

I have an FX-III 6x42 and a pair of Meopta variables. All excellent t scopes.

They dropped the 6x36 FX-ll. Can find them used. Still command good price, people must like them.

I must have started after the fixed power era (1980s).

I had one scope that was 6 power on the low end. Never again.

Fixed 4x is my favorite, fixed 6x after that. Variable power scopes are purging the fixed power from lineups.

I own a 3-9x leupold vx1. It has held up. But I like the simplicity of a fixed power scope.

The other thing that's a bummer is for those of us who use "classic" rifles with gloss blued finish, the last thing I want to put on my rifle is a matte black scope with giant tactical knobs.

Fixed 4x is my favorite, fixed 6x after that. Variable power scopes are purging the fixed power from lineups.

I own a 3-9x leupold vx1. It has held up. But I like the simplicity of a fixed power scope.

The other thing that's a bummer is for those of us who use "classic" rifles with gloss blued finish, the last thing I want to put on my rifle is a matte black scope with giant tactical knobs.

I don’t like the big knobs, but a matte scope doesn’t look as bad on a gloss rifle as you might think. At least it doesn’t to me. Not as good as gloss, but not as bad as I thought.

I purchased a very lightly used Leupold FXIII 6x42 a couple of years ago for my .270Win. It replaced a 4x Redfield that goes back a long ways. I am totally pleased with the fixed 6.

Funny thing is, even if you own an all singing multi mag scope, I bet if you were to look at the dial the bulk of hunters will have it dialled down to 6x! ;)
Cheers
Richard

Mine are dialed to 3X, 4X, or 4.5X. I prefer a fixed 6X to kill in open country and a fixed 4X to kill in thick country. There is more to hunting than killing. Unfortunately, I have found judgment problems to be an issue when more than one deer is there. You look at them through the binos, go to the scope, the deer have moved, you go back...I have enjoyed the “upgrade” for that reason. I believe that I once shot the wrong deer, and that the error would not have been made if I’d had a more powerful scope. The first deer is the one I killed. The second is the one I thought I was killing. While I was happy either way, the one that hit the dirt measured much smaller than the living one would have. 6X was more than enough to make the shot, but it wasn’t enough to stay on the bigger deer.

Attachments

• 4009A985-01FF-42F9-B491-AA103ED54884.jpeg
    4009A985-01FF-42F9-B491-AA103ED54884.jpeg
    1,011.7 KB · Views: 22
  • B7826D00-AF6E-4397-BAFF-43175F3221FD.jpeg
    B7826D00-AF6E-4397-BAFF-43175F3221FD.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members