PEAX Equipment

Fit for Hunting and Fishing

WyoDoug

Somewhere in the past around December, I posted about fitness routine and losing weight. Some of the suggestions including fasting. However, I have since been diagnosed with borderline diabetes II with glucose intolerance. With that fasting can be bad for me. I am following my CDE's recommendation on regular meals and substantially reduce carbs, red meat and saturated fats. I also have to add whole grain, protein, and high fiber meals to my diet. Sugar I have to highly regulate now and for most part I now get very little sugar. I have dropped from 254 down now at 234.6. Slow progress but the diabetic educator says that's the best weight loss because you don't have the up and down. Most of my body fat is on my belly now and that according to the doctor is hard to lose because you don't have as much blood going through that area as you do elsewhere so it takes much longer to lose belly fat than on your limbs, back or glutes. I am down to last hole in my belt so going to have to buy new belts fast.

Fighting the flu last two weeks should of helped lose weight. This time not so much. Going to get back into my fitness routine and get some errands and mailings done that I am behind on now.

My fitness is walks of 3 miles a day, 20 minute cardio on the treadmill at 3.7 MPH and then weight lifting that I was making good progress on before I got sick. I went to a trainer friend of mine and got a program that involves reps of 6-10 of my max weight for each exercise minus enough that I can just do 6-10 reps in 3 sets each. Plus situps and abs to help tighten my belly up. It's working and I appreciate some of the advice I got in my other thread.

You can prepare all you want shooting and working on your gear but if you are out of shape like I was last few years, you just will not do so good. I like to walk up and down the fields for antelope and deer and you can not do that if you are overweight and out of shape.

Fasting is bad for people taking insulin and certain oral medications, but I'm not sure there's much evidence on that for prediabetics not on those medications. My dad (also a physician) lost 40lbs with 12-16 hour fasting starting after lunch most days. He was also prediabetic and almost the weight you describe.

That said, if you're losing weight, stick with whatever is working diet-wise, and exercise every single day.

Guilty as charged judge!
Overweight
Borderline diabetic
Hip replacement
Crushed heel
Mobility issues

Fasting is hard on your health.

Hardest but best!
The "Weigh Down" diet.

Your stomach is your fuel gauge...when it growls....feed it!

Rule #1 - DO NOT eat until you're hungry (stomach growls)
Rule #2 - STOP EATING when you get full! NOT when your plate is empty or the food is gone!

Diabetics need to refuel more often.
Literally, half a sandwich (portion size) will stop the rumbling.

Easy?
NO!
Doable?
YES!

As a child, I was taught (indoctrinated?) that you eat "everyday" at 7am, 12noon and 6pm. You could dip into the serving bowl all you want, but you eat every-single-bite!
Right now, today, I'm having pure "D", unadulterated H-E-L-L to "retrain" my body to only eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full! 😖😥😬

Fergot!
Weigh everyday at the same time, log it!
Log everything you eat (time & amount).
Weigh before going to bed, log it!

Last edited:
Somewhere in the past around December, I posted about fitness routine and losing weight. Some of the suggestions including fasting. However, I have since been diagnosed with borderline diabetes II with glucose intolerance. With that fasting can be bad for me. I am following my CDE's recommendation on regular meals and substantially reduce carbs, red meat and saturated fats. I also have to add whole grain, protein, and high fiber meals to my diet. Sugar I have to highly regulate now and for most part I now get very little sugar. I have dropped from 254 down now at 234.6. Slow progress but the diabetic educator says that's the best weight loss because you don't have the up and down. Most of my body fat is on my belly now and that according to the doctor is hard to lose because you don't have as much blood going through that area as you do elsewhere so it takes much longer to lose belly fat than on your limbs, back or glutes. I am down to last hole in my belt so going to have to buy new belts fast.

Fighting the flu last two weeks should of helped lose weight. This time not so much. Going to get back into my fitness routine and get some errands and mailings done that I am behind on now.

My fitness is walks of 3 miles a day, 20 minute cardio on the treadmill at 3.7 MPH and then weight lifting that I was making good progress on before I got sick. I went to a trainer friend of mine and got a program that involves reps of 6-10 of my max weight for each exercise minus enough that I can just do 6-10 reps in 3 sets each. Plus situps and abs to help tighten my belly up. It's working and I appreciate some of the advice I got in my other thread.

You can prepare all you want shooting and working on your gear but if you are out of shape like I was last few years, you just will not do so good. I like to walk up and down the fields for antelope and deer and you can not do that if you are overweight and out of shape.
Great work! Keep it up. I’m a big man and have a similar battle. I find managing my macro nutrients vs my calories is the most helpful to keep my A1C below 6. I quit sugar just about all together and force myself to eat my macros in proper proportions. Macros are carbs, fats, and protein. To lose weight I eat my weight in protein. 1/3 of my weight in fat and carbs.

Guilty as charged judge!
Overweight
Borderline diabetic
Hip replacement
Crushed heel
Mobility issues

Fasting is hard on your health.

Hardest but best!
The "Weigh Down" diet.

Your stomach is your fuel gauge...when it growls....feed it!

Rule #1 - DO NOT eat until you're hungry (stomach growls)
Rule #2 - STOP EATING when you get full! NOT when your plate is empty or the food is gone!

Diabetics need to refuel more often.
Literally, half a sandwich (portion size) will stop the rumbling.

Easy?
NO!
Doable?
YES!

As a child, I was taught (indoctrinated?) that you eat "everyday" at 7am, 12noon and 6pm. You could dip into the serving bowl all you want, but you eat every-single-bite!
Right now, today, I'm having pure "D", unadulterated H-E-L-L to "retrain" my body to only eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full! 😖😥😬

Fergot!
Weigh everyday at the same time, log it!
Log everything you eat (time & amount).
Weigh before going to bed, log it!
One the hardest things to do in my adult life was to stop cleaning my plate. I would even finish things I didn’t like. At 54 yo I still struggle with it. Amazing how much sway Dad still has over me, even after he’s gone.

One the hardest things to do in my adult life was to stop cleaning my plate. I would even finish things I didn’t like. At 54 yo I still struggle with it. Amazing how much sway Dad still has over me, even after he’s gone.
I switched to mostly eating off of small side plates instead of dinner plates. Helps me control portion size. Such a mind game! Do we need to start a HT Biggest Loser contest?

I'm currently not having a lot of luck. ☹ ...but I'll keep plugging along.

I switched to mostly eating off of small side plates instead of dinner plates. Helps me control portion size. Such a mind game! Do we need to start a HT Biggest Loser contest?
Strange how little weird things like a smaller plate helps.

@ stevejfarms

My grampa (that I adored!) was born in 1893 and was NOT born with silver spoon in his mouth!
My dad was born in 1920 and my mom on 1921. Both came up as kids during the Great Depression.
My mother's dad died in 1932, and left a widow with six girls to feed. Mom was a helluva Gardner and could grow just about anything.
Thankfully, they lived in a small community of mostly relatives that "helped", but everybody else was struggling too!

Dad had a brother. A crosscut saw and 2 double bit axes and they could cut, split and deliver a cord of stove wood, by wagon for fifty cents.
Again. A small community with several relatives and tough, good hearted people and a mother (my grandma) that could make a feast out of cornbread and beans and I believe could have canned gourds and made them edible!

You DID NOT waste food!
If you put it on your plate, you ate it!
If you got too much?
Tough!
Eat it!
Breakfast at 6AM
Dinner at 12 Noon and (rich folks ate "lunch"! LOL!)
Supper at 6PM
Snacks between meals was whatever fruit, nut or berry you might stumble across.

Food was serious business.
You blessed every meal before eating.
You ate every bite and if you were late to the table, you ate a cold meal or fought the hound for leftovers 'cause refrigeration was nonexistent!

Ahhhh.... the "good old days"!

I control my weight by exercise more than consumption but I've learned to put the right portion on my plate. I also grew up with the "clean your plate" mentality. I've long sense broke that but don't have the will power to let tasty food sit on the plate uneaten. If I leave it in the pot, it's easier for me and there for leftovers.

Weight loss is tough.
Tougher yet is keeping it off once you've gotten it off.
THAT'S the beast under my bed.
I started at 260. My low was 198. I'm back pushing 230 ... AND 70 years old!

Happy for you.

Back