PEAX Equipment

Fishing with the Covid 19 rules

brnsvllyjohn

Here in northern Ca one of the best lakes that is still open is Lake Shasta. It is about 3 hours from where I live and I had a cabin reserved for the entire family. We were not sure how to handle the situation so only my 40 year old son and I went. We had a 3 bedroom cabin for the two of us. The resort owners were concerned they might take a big hit this summer since most of the cabins were empty until a week ago. By the time we got there on Friday they are basically booked for the summer. All of the public campgrounds are closed but not the launch ramps. People are camping around the shore line wherever they can drive to and of course when they do that there are no sanitation facilities. Pieces of white paper can be seen on lots of banks near the tent campers. Self contained RVs of course are a little different. The lake was crowded like you would expect but it is a big lake so we found places to catch fish without a problem. Some people did not practice social distancing but some did. We never saw anyone wearing a mask while at the lake. I did not see any masks until I was driving back home yesterday. My take away is a huge portion of the world has had it and are going to go out wherever they can and do things they can to get back to normal. I talked to one guy who drove about 7 hours to get to the lake because where he lives nothing is open. Opening most rec areas to locals would at least limit some of the long distance traveling and I think that would help a lot.

Now for the fishing. We had a great day Saturday and landed around 100 bass. Sunday was a little slower and we had about 75. I do have a counter in the boat and we keep track. Monday morning was tough with only 9 bass landed in 3 hours of fishing. Top water early then soft plastics were the methods that produced the best. Best fish was 2.5 pounds and best 5 would go in the 10-11 pound range. That is a typical sized limit from most of the spotted bass lakes in Ca. Nothing big but lots of action.

Reactions: JDH
Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back