Fishing the upper Sweetwater...

Knight.54

On the shores of the Graveyard of the Atlantic
So as it turns out I’m going to WY in a couple of weeks. Gonna be toting the smokepole around, looking for a better than average pronghorn...planning on doing a bit of camping out of my 4Runner, the unit is 92% public so I feel sure I can find a spot...might even gain some elevation to camp around some trees.

I’ve never stepped foot within 150 miles of the area. I’ve been reading up on it and it looks like fishing might be an option whilst I’m in the area.

short list: what to I need tackle wise— anything specific I need to know? Look for?
Best fly shop and cheeseburger in Lander?
Any advise on the habits of the biggest pronghorn in the area welcome too!
Thanks

I've fished lower down on the sweetwater, more in the desert than where you'll probably fish. I caught a few browns on spinners. There were a lot of suckers where I was at. You should run into more trout if you go higher up.

Should find small browns and rainbows in the upper end. If you're here in August and you fly fish, a small hopper would be a fun place to start. Streamers and a spinning rod with spinners for backup.
[/QUOTE

I don’t call myself a fly fisherman, but I dabble.
That’s what I was thinking—hoppers,
What would be the size range(hook wise) that would be good for the critters I’d likely encounter?

Last edited:
Should find small browns and rainbows in the upper end. If you're here in August and you fly fish, a small hopper would be a fun place to start. Streamers and a spinning rod with spinners for backup.
I’ve fished that area a couple times, I’d start here as well.
Burgers and waffle fries at the Lander Bar.

Back