Caribou Gear Tarp

First "Western" hunt

Aogrady93

Hello everyone, I just joined this forum a couple minutes ago.
My names Austin, I've come to realize that hunting is a part of my soul, and its time to grasp this pursuit. I want to try a DIY hunt in Nebraska for Mule deer. I chose this for a reasonable change in elevation due to being an asthmatic I want to get my body accustomed to this change.
I've never been west of illinois in the field; are their anymore tips I can do to learn how to schedule out of state hunts more efficiently?

Welcome, and congrats on making the commitment to making a hunt happen.

Hang out here and you'll pick up a lot, but mostly it will just be trial and error as you go along. Finding a seasoned hunt partner might help shorten the learning curve.

I've seen some real nice bucks as I've driven through Nebraska, but haven't hunted there. One thing I'll add is that just about every western state has some low elevation options for deer, so you do have a lot of options once you dig into it.

Welcome, and congrats on making the commitment to making a hunt happen.

Hang out here and you'll pick up a lot, but mostly it will just be trial and error as you go along. Finding a seasoned hunt partner might help shorten the learning curve.

I've seen some real nice bucks as I've driven through Nebraska, but haven't hunted there. One thing I'll add is that just about every western state has some low elevation options for deer, so you do have a lot of options once you dig into it.
Thanks sir, unfortunately nobody else in my family hunts and finding a partner would have to be the hardest challenge I'd face

Thanks sir, unfortunately nobody else in my family hunts and finding a partner would have to be the hardest challenge I'd face
Welcome!
Honestly, having a hunting partner usually decreases your odds of success. I would say find a nice piece of real estate that has some cover but relatively open(AKA: Has a view) look for a good stump to sit still on or a good tree to sit in where you can see for a good distance. Stay there motionless, just using your eyes and if there is a deer in the area they may sneak out. It is good to walk the area you plan to hunt a few days in advance to look for any sign of the animal you plan to hunt.

Last edited:
Reactions: CB1
Welcome. I would say don’t limit yourself to 1 destination. The hardest part is just saying I’m going. After that just ask your self what your personal comfort level is, do you mind sleeping in the truck, tent, camper or hotel. I hunt the National Grassalands in western SD I can just park anywhere for the night if it’s a decent night I’ll pitch the tent if its colder l sleep in the truck so I can turn the truck on for heat when needed. I eat a lot of PB&J sandwich’s beef jerky and brats on these trips.

Have you whitetail hunted previously? Mule deer are different but some things are similar. Nothing wrong with jumping in and working your way up the learning curve. Be careful with the asthma, especially if hunting solo. No shame in hiring a guide for a type of hunt you are first doing, if that works out financially. Might speed up the learning curve for glassing up mule deer and judging age and antlers. And, if breathing issues pop up suddenly then you are not alone. If hunt with a partner then are likely not attached at the hips during the day so may not learn much other than some feedback as look over maps planning out the next day's plan during the hunt. I tended to hunt solo when moved out West and can be painfully slow getting up to speed on a new species or type of terrain or different phases such as pre-rut, rut, and post-rut. I had some awesome hikes and camping trips so can be a memorable time solo even if never get a shot opportunity. Good luck.

Welcome and good luck. Never hunted mule deer in Nebraska but I have in Wyoming, Colorado, and NM. Not sure your ceiling but all have some relatively low altitude hunting. I hunt with a guy who has asthma and he carries extra inhalers and a satellite messenger with a SOS button. You might give that some consideration especially if you hunt alone.

I'm an exercise and allergy induced asthmatic. I've never had any serious issues with altitude. I will say though that the better shape I'm in the less issues I have with my asthma. Then again, my right cargo pocket always contains a rescue inhaler and I use it as I need it.

Main thing to research is the process for getting tags for the state you are interested in. I have never hunted NE so I can't help there, but get that nailed down. Then focus on where you will be hunting. Time/money spent on research and getting tools that help with access IMO is more important than gear. When it comes to gear for western hunts I'd focus my money on boots, binoculars, backpack and in that order.

Welcome and start getting some PP in Wyoming and possibly Colorado. You can find lower elevation hunts in both states.

Well, the Kansas application deadline is coming up. South Dakota has theirs in June I believe. All decent odds for most units last I looked. There are OTC available in Colorado and I think Nebraska is still OTC for their December rifle. Look at the Sand Hills region or some of the other units out in west Nebraska and take a road trip if you can to get a feel for the topography. Some people say it is crowded, but I've seen some really nice Mule Deer taken out of there by a friend who used to live out there.
It's usually never too late to get into a points game, unless you are planning on Utah lol.
If altitude doesn't bother you, it might when you are hunting in it and rucking up a steep incline. My first trip to 10,000 feet sucked the life out of me and I'm a hard runner/ lifter, but I live near sea level most of the year. Don't be afraid, just take it easy and have a good time no matter where you end up.

Grizz are only concern on Western side for now.
You can buy PP starting in July as stated. Look at the WG&F website , it has all the info you need. The Hunt Planner is a great tool for looking at areas and access they may have. Draw odds, tags, season dates , harvest numbers and population info are all there.
Still time to apply for deer and pronghorn in Wyoming.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back