First truck and current truck.

Southern Elk

I learned how to drive in this 1984 Toyota that my dad bought new. It was my truck in high school, then my brother drove it. It has a straight axle and the 22R engine in it. I kept it until I moved to Montana 5 years ago. I sold it to my brother and he put a small lift kit on it and new wheels and tires.

I have owned 5 Tacomas in my life. (Two were actually pre Tacoma when they were just called Toyota trucks.) earlier this year after my Duramax was parked for 3 months waiting on a part, I decided to make a change. Since I also have an older 3/4 ton truck for work, I decided to go back to a Tacoma. I had to wait about 6 weeks for it to be delivered and in that time, I found a used matching topper on Craigslist. So far I’m loving the new truck and glad I made the change. Really happy to not be buying $6 diesel right now.

23B9775A-6DE1-4917-84FE-557B695E3043.jpeg

712F1D43-FC4F-4ABD-9CEE-8F26C44873BC.jpeg

First truck was a '79 F-150 4x4 that sat behind my uncles shop for 3 years with a blown motor until I talked him into letting me have it. Dropped in a 300 Straight 6 for $300 and screamed around North Idaho for 3 years during high school. I ended up parting it out because I spent more time keeping it running than I did driving it. Great truck for a high school kid.

Current truck is a '17 Tundra Crew Max. Doesn't get much for miles on it as I have a company truck through work, so the Tundra is the family road trip, camping, hunting rig. I think I put all of 5,000 miles on it last year. Will probably be around when my 3 y/o gets his license, and it can be his truck then.

That ‘84 is a thing of beauty.
Yeah, sometimes I wish I would have kept it, but I couldn’t take it with me to MT. Those engines are also notoriously weak and it wouldn’t have been much of a mountain rig. Maybe I’ll get it back from him one day.

my dad's black, extended cab, manual 1995 F150. can't believe i don't have a picture of it. drove it to high school for a few years. took over my grandmas 1996 subaru legacy hatchback when i went to college.

my dad still drives the 1995 F150 he bought new in 1995 and i still drive the 1996 subaru legacy hatchback my grandma bought new in Laramie in 1996.

my wife drives this now, i only get it during hunting season anymore:

IMG-8434.jpgIMG-0431.jpg

first truck I owned was a 98 ram 1500, rwd.
Current truck is a 08 f250 4x4. Currently thinking about getting a raptor though cause I'm an A$$H@!$

First truck I owned was a 1991 Chevy S10 regular cab that I purchased brand new in December of 1990. Manual 5 speed. Did have automatic windows and door locks.

Current truck is a 2021 Chevy 2500 Diesel with pretty much all the bells and whistles available.

Also owned a 1989 Nissan Extended Cab pickup, a 1995? Dodge Ram Extended Cab and 3 different Chevy 1/2 ton 4X4 Crew Cabs I think 1999, 2005 and 2012 models all purchased new and driven over 200,000 miles each.

First for me was a ‘92 F150 single cab with the 351 Windsor. I decided I wanted something newer and more modern (ha), so I bought a ‘96 Tacoma with the 5vz about five years ago that still serves as my daily driver and my mountain rig. I have to roll up my windows manually now, but also don’t have to get out to lock my hubs. It’s the little trade-offs.

I bought a 1970 IH Scout in 1986 for $500. Lots of fun in that truck. It had a custom .45 ACP drain in the floor to let the water out after creek crossings. The keys wouldn't stay in the ignition switch so when off road you had to remember to put them in your pocket or you couldn't turn the motor off. Today I drive a 2002 Toyota Sequoia with a ton of miles. Bought it for $5,800 in 2013. Lots of fun in this truck too. It has quirks as well. Driver's door lock won't open with the key. Rear window doesn't roll down anymore. No radio anymore (gotta fix that!). Haven't made it very far from that old Scout it seems. I had a year old Toyota High-Lux at one point but had to sell it a year and a half later when my wife went to graduate school. Had lots of other vehicles in between. Sure hope this Sequoia runs forever.

1st was a 51 GMC 3/4t flatbed,corner window model with a 52 Chevy for parts. Then the 1927 dodge flatbed, then a 63 Dodge pu, then a 65 F-100. Added a 65 F250 and kept them forever. The F250 had 600k plus on it when I sold the pair of 65's.
In 89 I bought my 1st Toyota ,a 82 4x4 solid axle with a campershell and tow kit installed for a horsetrailer.
$3000 with 76k mi on it. I put 500k mi on it and sold it for $3000 to get my currant Tacoma.

My 98 Tacoma has 350k on it now and I have a 2001 F150 offroad for everyday driving and giving the Tacoma a well deserved rest. IMG_0014 (2).JPGIMG_0012 (2).JPG
Pretty sure these will be my last trucks and will just rebuild them when needed. The Tacoma is bomb proof and the Lariat is a Lincoln ride.
I love my trucks.

I had a 87 Toyota exactly like @Southern Elk 's but in red. Fun little pickup, but my snowmachine had more HP. Downhill with a tail wind on the Norris hill I hit 85 once, boing up Homestake it was 3rd or 4th and 45mph... It was geared super low and would go about anywhere. It was running around Ennis for a long time after I sold it.
Lack of power was the main reason I didn’t bring mine with me to MT. The 84 had a carburetor. Your 87 had fuel injection, I think. Those actually had a little more power. The best thing Toyota ever did was start putting V6s in their trucks. I had a 98 like Hank’s with a V6 and that thing was a beast. I’d like to have that one back.

Lack of power was the main reason I didn’t bring mine with me to MT. The 84 had a carburetor. Your 87 had fuel injection, I think. Those actually had a little more power. The best thing Toyota ever did was start putting V6s in their trucks. I had a 98 like Hank’s with a V6 and that thing was a beast. I’d like to have that one back.
My roommate in college had an 88 with a v6 and extra cab. Wasn't a whole lot more HP, but could go over Homestake at 50.

The 82 with the 4 did take a while to get there, but it got there.
The 98 & V6, auto, w shift on the fly can still move out quick for an old gal, drop her out of overdrive and downshift her and she will surprize you still. I have carried rounds higher than the cab out of the Sierra high country on that baby.

My first kinda truck was a 79 Bronco with a 351. Would slide all over in rear wheel drive, but with the hubs locked it was the most sure footed ride I've owned.
Latest truck is a 19 GMC 1500. Certainly gets better gas mileage than the broncos 10-12 mpg.
20220719_152555.jpg

Back