First Timer Gets an Education Hunting Elk In Colorado

Dangerous Dave

San Rafael, Ca. (North Coast of California)
Just got back from a combo muley/elk hunt just a little northeast of Craig, Colorado. Impressive country with lots of feed and so many animals that you keep tripping over them during all hours of the day. A snowstorm with 10 degree temps hit the 2nd day and so did my angioedema which reduced me to hobbling through the snow using my rifle as a crutch. Damn if I was going to sit wimpering in a tent with a mutant-sized right foot and a hurl inducing swollen belly... real fun malady I've got. Long story short, I got a nice 3 point muley, but kept trying for a bull.
An elk -any elk- has to be the most observant, spooky, intense, fastest moving, best hiding critter I've ever tried to pull a sneak on. Other than "Stay away from my honeyhole, you numbskull!" -can any of you veteran bull hunters give a 1st time rookie any pointers (insults?) to absorb for next time? (Got the rifle on a spike, but he didn't have the required 5 inch brow tine.) Thanks, DD

Dave, it sounds like you were doing the right things. You would be surprized by how many never see an Elk. Spike or else. Time spent in the same areas narrows it down year by year. Congrats on the Muley! John

Thanks, John. I think you're right... if I keep after it, it'll happen sooner or later.
I'm still amazed at how an animal that big can walk through oakbrush trees that I can't fit through. There aren't even any leaves on those trees; yet its still hidden!
I also found out that if you cautiously approach a distant ridge and glass it really well, any tan spot will stand out. That tan spot just might be an elk if it moves or changes shape.
And if you find one hidden elk, there just might be 10 to 15 others which are hidden so well you can't see them. Along with 10-15 sets of very sharp eyes.
I waited out one "tan spot" (800 yards distant) just to see what would happen. The wind started blowing from the north, it started snowing and the lead cow finally had enough, got up and led 13 other cows and calves to within 250 yards of me as they moved down to lower ground.
In that instance, sitting it out was a better decision than trying to make a sneak on the ridge with the slightly moving tan spot while not knowing what else was there.
I think this elk hunting might make me a little crazy(er).

Yeah, but its a blast isn't it! Keep it up, the first one is the hardest to get down. Everybody told me that, and they were right. From there I have heard it gets easier.

Go high.. FInd the military crest of a north facing slope early in the morning and glass until your eyeballs burn. Find them visually before you try to hunt them. If you spook them, don't try to chase them. You'll never out elk and elk. They can cover more ground by accident than you can on purpose. The more time you spend glassing, the less time you'll spend wandering aimlessly around the canyons and hillsides, spreading your scent all over the outback.

:cool:

Danr has got it right, use your glasses. If you know where they are moving to and from, get there. Ridges inside of trees are great places to find them as well. Know their feeding grounds as well.

DD - funny you should mention. I returned a bit ago from hunting both 1st and 2nd seasons in CO (units 4, 214, 441, 14). I got deathly sick 1st season and couldn't do shit but sit on my ass on ridges since I couldn't hike or anything else. I'm sure the coughing and nose blowing didn't help animals get close. Further, during 2nd season, we got snow...about 2 feet worth. This happened so fast it sent the majority of the elk and almost all the deer down low and onto private property. Big time suck. :( But at least I wasn't at work! hump

Copy that, Elk Hunter. The younger guys I was hunting with could cover a mile in the dark in about 45 minutes. Because of my illness, it would take me an hour and a half. Being that far behind put me at a major disadvantage.
Thanks, Danr55, sounds like good advice. I notice that speed hiking seemed to produce very few elk spots, so I cooled it. I'd find a slot or a bench and just sit for hours. Almost got a shot. When that north wind and snow hit, it was literally painful to use the binos because it seemed like my eyeballs were starting to freeze over. Pre-spotting the elk appears to be madatory.

I find that in most types of hunting, people are moving too fast. Sure, speed may be neccessary if you are trying to head off the animal(s) or get to a certain spot before daylight, but generally you can walk right by bedded animals that are smart enough to stay still.

CH, I should have clarified: I meant getting into position before daylight OR before someone else snagged my intended hunting/glassing spot before I could get there. Being crippled up for those two days threw my timetable way off.
I agree with you; speedhiking isn't hunting. Hunters who do that appear to spook more animals in my direction than they will ever see hunting that way.

Yeah, glassing is something I wasn't ever taught but definitely something I guess I discovered -- and absolutely love it. I wish I would have been taught this sooner. At any rate, we sure got into animals; listening for the bugles, cow calling and spotting was cake. Problem was, I could have shot a cow but packing her out several thousand yards from the closest trail was out of the question. :eek:

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back