Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

First timer camp set up

Robertsj22

Solo hunter going for first rifle Colorado elk. I plan on camping by the truck. Any recommendations on a tent? I’ve considered Kodiak tent, a plain tent from dicks or a tent for the truck bed. Anyone have a better idea or a thing I’m missing

Depends on your elevation, but usually weather is pretty "mild". I would not think twice about using a fairly basic tent and fly if using my usual sleep system I know would keep me warm and dry if I get wet or dumped on with snow...though I wouldn't buy anything from Dick's, but that's not due to gear quality...

I would probably still use my floorless tipi/stove combo if I was camping near the truck though just for the luxury factor!

In response to the topper suggestion, that ain't a half bad idea at all! I always had too much coolers/gear for that to be comfy and now I have a flatbed or I'd still run one!

If you go the tent rout, take a good look at the kodiak as you mentioned. I took the advise from people on here and bought one a few years ago. Easy to set up/take down, 10x14 is plenty of room for two plus gear if you ever go with someone, not too bad on price, and held up very well in Wyoming winds and November winter.

When u say topper do u mean like a tent for the bed?

No a hard shell that sets up flush or slightly higher than the cab. You can get one that matches the paint color of your truck which are usually fiberglass, or all aluminum that is lighter but not as durable. You just put a bed roll in the back, or a cot and there you go home sweet home. I have seen some pretty cool set ups posted on here.

No a hard shell that sets up flush or slightly higher than the cab. You can get one that matches the paint color of your truck which are usually fiberglass, or all aluminum that is lighter but not as durable. You just put a bed roll in the back, or a cot and there you go home sweet home. I have seen some pretty cool set ups posted on here.

Yup, craigslist is a good place to find a deal on one.
https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=topper

I've done both, with Kodiak style tent and out of the truck bed with a topper. The topper deal was fine when I was in my 20's, now I much prefer a tent, you will be likely more comfortable in it. It will allow you more room... standing up, cooking / making meals,...

But the tent has some negatives also, cost, setup/ tear down, not fun with heavy heavy rain and run off water.

Depending on your truck and topper, you may be able have like an elevated sleep area using supported plywood/boards at about the top of the bed level and use the under area for storage of gear.

Good Luck,

I've been going to Colorado for years and years and my go-to base camp setup is a good-ol basic Coleman or the like...and I beat them to death. When I can see the stars through the fly I know it's time to drop another 50-bucks on a new tent. This normally takes 7 or 8 years of hard use by the way. I have always bought just a 4-man tent (I typically hunt solo) but since I now use a cot I've had to go to a 6-man for the length the cot requires. I use another 4-man tent for my gear if I am going first class and maybe throw a tarp between the two for a cooking area. Works like a champ and all for under a hundred bucks. Go for it and the best of luck.

Back