First time sheep Hunter

jwh525

Hey gang,
For as long as I can remember I've had the desire to go Dall Sheep hunting. Last fall I moved from the Island with the big bears up to Fairbanks. I figure that since I'm this close to being in the best location for sheep (AK) I'm gonna make the most of it. My dilemma is this. I would absolutely love to harvest my first sheep with a bow and arrow. My buddy who will accompany me is suggesting that we do a rifle hunt first. I understand his logic but by using archery equipment we'll be able to hunt within the 5 mile restricted zone of the pipeline which to me will be more beneficial since our duration of hunting will be limited but possibly often. I've since gone out and purchased a ideal sheep gun in my opinion. (Kimber model 8400 270 WSM ) just in case we rifle hunt, besides can you possibly have too many rifles?
My question for you sheep guru's is this. Am I nuts for wanting my first time sheep hunting to be done with a bow and arrow? For the record the hunt will be OYO.
I purchased a Kifaru pack last fall that I think will work out just fine should we harvest.
As for tents I've got a 3 season 2 person or 4 season 2 person to choose from, which would you recommend?
I'm also torn between my down bag or my synthetic bag.
Any and all suggestions/ input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

John

Seems obvious but since you asked....You can not kill a sheep with an arrow by shooting it with a rifle. Do the hunt you want and hunt with compatible people. Follow your gut instinct, you know what will turn the crank and what will not.

This from a guy that packed a bow around for 20 days with a sheep tag in my pocket to dine on tag soup in the end.

Would love to be in your shoes (AK resident)

I've gone 3 times and have yet to connect with a rifle let alone a bow. The first ram we (my bro) got was shot a 50 yards, so there is a chance it can happen. We've tried to pack light cramming into the smallest tent we can. Usually a 2 man 3 season. We have been fine and happy with the down bags. They pack down nice and small. I have wore my clothes to bed some nights just to stay warm but it all works. As for hunting with a bow or not, like K hunter mentioned just go with what will make you happy and be prepared for any end result. My advice would be get good waterproof boots, get in incredible shape, and take a good spotter.

Maybe Dinkshooter can give you some bow advice as I know he and his brother are the Dall Sheep stud muffins in that area.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back