Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

First time in Montana suggestions?

jdudley

Looking for any suggestions on units or general areas to hunt in Montana for a back country experience. I'm an adult onset hunter and drew my first out of state elk/deer combo tag in Montana this year. I will likely be hunting solo and am very comfortable in the back country. My goal is to fill the freezer with my first elk and my 2nd deer (not worried about size at all on either) and combine that with a back country experience with limited pressure. I realize hunting spots are closing guarded and I respect that. Any guidance would be much appreciated! Thanks God bless

Not sure what you define backcountry as but typically backcountry you’ll want stock to pack or some young and dumb friends to call. Getting an elk out 10 miles in is no easy task and I would venture to say near impossible for one guy to do alone on foot before the meat spoils. I don’t think you can really go wrong in any of the wilderness areas in Montana, the general tag allows you to hunt pretty much everywhere.

Not sure what you define backcountry as but typically backcountry you’ll want stock to pack or some young and dumb friends to call. Getting an elk out 10 miles in is no easy task and I would venture to say near impossible for one guy to do alone on foot before the meat spoils. I don’t think you can really go wrong in any of the wilderness areas in Montana, the general tag allows you to hunt pretty much everywhere.
Thank you for the advice. I've been in the back country a lot but never packed out meat solo before. I'm very comfortable with the amount of work it will take but also want to be smart and make certain nothing goes to waste because I was overly ambitious. Thanks again!

Although I really like to hunt in the northwest, the wolves have really reduced the opportunities. I grew up in 200, 124,121,122 and love to go back to ride the trails but I don't hold great expectations of making meat.

My experience has shown some stiff competition south of Butte from the locals. Eastern Montana is a challenge to get access. Talk to the FWP biologists of areas of interest and use ONX or agency maps for roads, closues, and public lands.

Lots of luck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back