PEAX Equipment

First Time Grouse Hunt

WyoDoug

Starting a new clean thread. I had previous thread deleted because the guy I went hunting with sent me a bogus image. I did not have a camera or my cell phone with me so I relied on him to send me images of our birds. The pickup was red and my pickup is maroon and a tarp was where my spare tire was so I should of noticed something was not right.

Anyways, we were checked by a game warden who saw us in the CRP bordering rye fields so I am satisfied everything was kosher.

The guy I was with shot 3 sharpies and I shot two. I also had more than a dozen shots that should of been chunk shots and missed so I definitely need to hit the skeet range and learn to handle a shotgun better.

They were good eating. We cleaned them and at them for lunch and I went home on a full belly. I will definitely be doing grouse next year and doing research so I don't have to rely on someone else I just met to lead me grouse hunting. Grouse is good eating. I was impressed.

The warden for that area is well informed and I have trouble believing he wouldn't identify an exceedingly rare Prairie Chicken. Not to mention those sharpies are flushing from at 100 yard. You would exceptional lucky to knock down 5 birds in late December. But great story....

Last edited:
I think you will find some good suggestions re practicing in something I just posted on a thread called "Shotgun". Trap will be a much better place to start than skeet, especially if you can find a club that will turn off the thrower's oscillation till you get the hang of it.

Best way to hunt sharpies is go after them on a windy day. Flush them upwind and some are likely to get blown by you within range.

Back